This recipe is truly what lazy Sunday morning dreams are made of. Quicker and easier than French toast, but tastes like something you might order at a fancy (cough, overpriced) brunch restaurant. Caramelized cinnamon apples, pan fried in butter for extra deliciousness, served over cream cheese toast with a maple drizzle. Honestly? You might start putting this drizzle on e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g… its just that good!
Lately, my breakfasts have just been a quick protein smoothie. But you know what? The days are long and the weeks are even longer in this lockdown… so fun delicious breakfasts it is! From now on, Sundays are for restaurant-worthy meals and presentation. Except without the actual hard work it takes to make fancy meals. We want boujie, but we also want easy… you feel me?
Caramelized Cinnamon Apple Cream Cheese Toast
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: serves 2
Sourdough bread, grilled on both sides, smeared with vegan cream cheese and topped with cinnamon perfectly caramelized apple slices and maple drizzle.
- 1 apple, sliced into 8 segments
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- 4 tbsp vegan cream cheese, I use Real Fake Meats
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
Opti0nal: sprinkle of hemp hearts for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the maple drizzle ingredients until combined. Set aside.
- Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the vegan butter and once sizzling, add the brown sugar, cinnamon and apples and cook about 2 minutes. You want the outsides to caramelize over a higher heat but don’t cook them longer than a couple minutes, so the apples don’t get too soft.
- Remove apples from the pan and set aside. Place bread in the frying pan and grill one minute per side, until lightly golden.
- Remove bread from pan and spread 2 tbsp cream cheese on each slice. Top each with 4 slices of apple, some maple drizzle and hemp hearts. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Wow- this is fantastic! The combination of flavors and texture- I could eat plenty!