A moist, slightly tangy orange flavoured cake with a hint of vanilla, covered in creamy vanilla frosting and decorated with blood orange slices.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid drained off the can of chickpeas)
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 blood orange (or a regular orange), use this for the zest and to decorate finished cake
- 3/4 cup oil like canola
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 4 tbsp nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375. Line a 10 inch round cake pan with parchment, or grease and flour it so it doesn’t stick.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and aquafaba and using an electric mixer or a whisk, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the oil, orange zest, vanilla, milk and orange juice and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and mix until fully combined and only a few small lumps remain.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake 42-44 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with. a few crumbs clinging to it – no wet batter should come out on the toothpick.
- Let the cake cool in the pan almost completely before removing and transferring to a wire rack or cake stand to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter, 2 tbsp nondairy milk and vanilla and mix to combine. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat until creamy. Add the other 2 tbsp nondairy milk and the rest of the sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Once cake is fully cool, spread the icing over the top in an even layer. I like to leave the sides bare and just have the icing on top. Then, decorate with some orange slices and extra zest, if desired. Slice and serve.* Leftover cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 43 minutes