Holy moly I am so excited to share this recipe! Coffee Lover’s Cake with Creamy Chocolate Frosting. Simply, the best. If you don’t know by now, I am a coffee-lover. Like, big time. I went 25 years without drinking or enjoying coffee/coffee flavoured things. Why? Beats me. Seriously, I have no idea. And then one day Greg told me to try coffee. And you know what? I’m converted. I love it! So, I had to recreate my new favourite cake recipe into a coffee and chocolate version.
This cake is coffee flavoured, rich and only slightly bitter, just like coffee! Its moist, sweet but definitely has a pronounced coffee flavour. The creamy chocolate frosting balances it perfectly, and I love that the cake in general isn’t sickly sweet. Its the perfect dessert for a coffee and chocolate lover.
No eggs, no problem!
The key component in making this cake super moist and hold together well is aquafaba! If you don’t know already aquafaba is the liquid you normally would drain off when you open a new can of chickpeas. Its that thick (kind of weird smelling) liquid that you want to get rid of as fast as possible. But wait!! Don’t throw it out! It makes an amazing egg substitute in baking! And some people even use it to make vegan meringue because it whips up just like egg whites.Print
Coffee Lover’s Cake with Creamy Chocolate Frosting
- Total Time: 2.5 hours with cooling time
- Yield: 8 slices
A moist, coffee flavoured cake, covered in a lusciously creamy chocolate frosting.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup aquafaba (liquid drained off the can of chickpeas)
- 3/4 cup oil like canola
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk like oat, almond or soy
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
Creamy Chocolate Frosting:
- 4 tbsp vegan butter, softened
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line a 10 inch round cake pan with parchment, or grease and flour it so it doesn’t stick. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and aquafaba and using an electric mixer or a whisk, beat until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add the oil, vanilla, coffee, and milk and stir to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until fully combined and only a few small lumps remain.
- Pour into the prepared cake pan and bake 42-44 minutes, until golden brown on top and a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean or with. a few crumbs clinging to it – no wet batter should come out on the toothpick.
- Let the cake cool in the pan almost completely before removing and transferring to a wire rack or cake stand to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the vegan butter, 2 tbsp nondairy milk, cocoa powder and vanilla and mix to combine. Add 1 cup of powdered sugar and beat until creamy. Add the other 2 tbsp nondairy milk and the rest of the sugar and beat until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Leftover cake can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 43 mins