This Asparagus & Feta Vegan Frittata is soy-free, dairy-free and gluten-free. You might be wondering what this is made of, if it isn’t made of eggs or tofu. The answer is: chickpea flour! I swear this springy frittata is the easiest “fancy-sounding” recipe EVER. What is frittata? Its like a crust-less quiche! It is SO easy to make and only requires a few ingredients and about 30 minutes.
Springy fresh asparagus and onion, sautéed in a cast iron skillet, then topped with the “egg” mixture which is chickpea flour, spices and water. We top it with some vegan feta (I use Violife brand but any vegan cheese works here!) before baking, and then some extra after. And don’t forget the chilli flakes!
Easier than eggs!
I think this vegan version is even easier than normal frittata because you don’t have to make a mess cracking a bunch of eggs. Its literally just whisking together powders, sautéing the veggies and then baking right in the skillet!
I don’t have/like asparagus! Can I sub something else?
Don’t worry, you can sub another veggie. My sister in law actually made this right after I did because I sent her the recipe ahead of time- but she used mushrooms instead! Her and her roommates loved it. I would also suggest broccoli, shredded zucchini and carrot, or even fresh peas as an alternative to asparagus. BUT if you’re hesitant on asparagus because you don’t like it, I will say that Greg hates asparagus but happily ate a giant slice of this frittata with no complaints.Print
Asparagus & Feta Vegan Frittata (soy-free, dairy-free, gluten-free)
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 slices
Vegan frittata made with chickpea flour, spices, asparagus, dairy-free feta and a whole lot of love!
- 1 1/4 cups chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional, for savoury flavour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 3 tbsp oil, divided
- 1/2 small white onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped asparagus
- 1/4 cup vegan feta or other vegan cheese
- chilli flakes
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, baking powder, salt, pepper and parsley until combined.
- Add the water and whisk until smooth and no lumps remain. Set aside.
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet on medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and onion. Fry for 3 minutes until onion starts to turn translucent. Add asparagus and cook 2 minutes, until slightly softened.
- Take skillet off heat and add veggies into chickpea mixture, stirring to combine. Add remaining 2 tbsp oil into the skillet, spreading it around to grease the bottom and sides of the skillet.
- Pour chickpea and veggie mixture into the skillet and top with half of the cheese. Bake for 15-17 minutes until slightly golden on top with a few cracks.
- Remove from the oven and add remaining cheese and a sprinkle of chilli flakes on top. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes