Ahhh blueberry buckle, a base of moist, fluffy, cinnamon cake, with a layer of blueberries, topped with a buttery golden crumble topping. This recipe combined all my favourite things- vegan cake, wild blueberries and crumble topping! For this recipe, we use a homemade vegan buttermilk, which is actually easier to make than you think; its just two ingredients! Nondairy milk (I used oat) and vinegar (I used apple cider vinegar) or lemon juice.
I am recommending you enjoy this summery dessert warm, straight out of the oven with a dusting of icing sugar or a big scoop of coconut whipped cream. I did a quick drop off of two slices of warm Buttermilk Blueberry Buckle to my parents when I made it and it got rave reviews from my dad, who is also a blueberry lover.
The buttermilk is important in helping the cake layer rise and stay fluffy. The vinegar reacts with the baking soda to give it a nice lift, since there are no eggs present to do it!
Blueberry Buttermilk Buckle (vegan!)
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8-10 slices
Fluffy cinnamon-infused cake, layered with wild blueberries and topped with a buttery golden crumble topping.
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups frozen wild blueberries
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup vegan margarine or softened vegan butter
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line a 10 inch springform cake pan with parchment paper OR grease and flour it. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together nondairy milk and vinegar and let sit a minute to curdle slightly. Add the oil, sugar, and vanilla and stir to dissolve the sugar. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until just combined. A few small lumps are okay.
- Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Add blueberries on top in an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the sugars and flour. Use a whisk, pastry blender or fork to cut in the margarine and mix until the texture is crumbly or like clumps of wet sand. Sprinkle crumble topping over blueberries in an even layer.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55-60 minutes, until crumble is golden. If you insert a toothpick in the center it will likely come out covered in blueberries, but you just want to make sure there isn’t notably wet batter coming out.
- Remove from oven and let sit 15 minutes before attempting to slice. Slicing while warm will make it crumble and break apart easily, however it will still be delicious!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour