Swedish-inspired vegan meatballs cooked in a creamy yet light sauce with shell pasta.
- 340g vegan uncooked ground beef like Lightlife or Beyond Meat
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 2 cups shell pasta
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups veggie broth
- 1 cup vegan cream or full-fat coconut milk (I used the Earth’s Own Oat Cream)
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- Boil pasta in a large pot of salted water according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all meatball ingredients and mix to combine. Use a tablespoon measuring spoon to scoop out meatballs, then shape with your hands. You will get about 10. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl or large measuring cup, combine the broth, vegan cream, soy sauce, brown sugar and dijon mustard, parsley, nutmeg and salt and pepper and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a skillet or large frying pan on medium heat with a drizzle of oil. Add the meatballs and cook about 8-10 minutes total, turning a few times to brown all sides.
- Remove meatballs from the pan and set aside. Return pan to heat and add vegan butter. Once melted, add the flour and stir to make a roux (a paste-like consistency). Add a splash of the liquid mixture and whisk to combine. It will still be very thick. Continue adding splashes and whisking fully in between until all the sauce mixture is in the pan.
- Add the cooked pasta and meatballs to the sauce and stir gently to combine. Turn heat down to low and simmer about 8-10 minutes, until sauce has thickened slightly.
- Serve with a sprinkle of fresh black pepper. Enjoy.