Coming at your from my super sunny (thankfully air conditioned) kitchen today to share this totally summer-worthy recipe! These Peppery Seitan “Chicken” Skewers with Fresh Corn & Ranch Dip are my new summer obsession- something you can make ahead of time to BBQ, or even just sear in a pan if you don’t own a BBQ. We don’t own one, so we grilled these on our panini press- so fun!
Peppery, paprika rubbed seitan “chicken”, with fresh corn on the cob, and a perfectly cool ranch dip to balance it all out. For the ranch dip, I used the recipe from this post.
The “chicken” is my super easy seitan recipe. I use an instant pot for it, but you can boil on the stove as well (it just takes 45 minutes to cook instead of 15).
How to make the seitan “chicken”:
In a mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. Add 1 cup of broth and stir to form a ball of dough. Add 3 cups of broth to your instant pot, then rip chunks of seitan off and place them in the broth. I do about 15 pieces total. Cook on manual/high pressure for 15 minutes, then let the steam out.
Drain the seitan and let it dry off for a few minutes while you prepare the spice mix. Then, toss the seitan chunks in the spice mix, skewer them onto bamboo skewers, and you’re ready to grill! They’re already fully cooked, so you can grill until they are as crispy and browned as you like.
Peppery Seitan “Chicken” Skewers with Fresh Corn & Ranch Dip
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 min
- Yield: 4 servings
Peppery paprika-rubbed seitan “chicken”, grilled and served with fresh corn on the cob and a cool ranch dip to balance it all out.
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 3 cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 4 bamboo skewers
- 1 cup BBQ sauce (for basting)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried ground sage
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
Ranch Dip (see notes):
- 1 cup raw cashews (or sunflower seeds)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 2 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp finely chopped green onion
- 4 cobs of corn, husked, then halved
- vegan butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Whisk together seitan dry ingredients until combined. Add 1 cup broth and stir until it forms a dough ball.
- Knead a few times with your hands until dough has no dry spots.
- Add 3 cups of broth to instant pot. Divide seitan into 16 chunks and add to pot. Cook on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it is done, quick release steam.
- Meanwhile, whisk together paprika rub ingredients. When seitan is done, drain and let dry a few minutes. Toss in the mixture until coated. Skewer 4 pieces of seitan onto each bamboo skewer. Brush each with a layer of BBQ sauce. I use a silicone basting brush for this, but you can use the back of a spoon too.
- In a high speed blender, blend all ranch ingredients except for the green onion, until smooth. Pour into a serving dish, add the green onion and stir to combine.
- Grill: You can either BBQ the seitan until desired crispness, or you can use a frying pan or panini press to sear it and get a nice crispy coating/grill marks. It is already fully cooked, so you can get creative with how to want to “grill” it.
- Corn: Boil in a large pot for about 8 minutes or until cooked. Drain. Serve with vegan butter and salt and pepper.
- Serve! Each serving gets a skewer, two halves of corn and as much ranch as you like :).
If you don’t have a high speed blender or food processor, simply boil the cashews for 10 minutes to soften them before blending so they blend easier.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
This looks great!
Any ways to cook the seitan if you don’t have an instant pot?