Today I am sharing my new FAV recipe for the most buttery, flaky, vegan biscuits around. These biscuits are super savoury, made with vegan (homemade) buttermilk, dairy-free cheddar and butter, and only a few pantry staple ingredients.
They are incredibly easy and I am sharing the trick to getting the flakiest biscuits with minimal effort (aka, no extra chilling, freezing, or annoying steps). They are beyond delicious and simple enough for a spur of the moment biscuit craving.
The trick is to use vegan butter sticks, like Becel sticks or Earth Island baking sticks. The way to get flaky layers is by making tiny pockets of butter all throughout the dough- which is why I find it easiest to grate the butter! That’s why you need it in stick form. It is a fool proof hack to getting all those beautiful layers.
Extra-Flaky Vegan Cheddar Biscuits
- Total Time: 30 mintes
- Yield: 6 biscuits
The flakiest, buttery, vegan cheddar biscuits! Simple to make and beyond delicious.
- 1 cup unsweetened original nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the nondairy milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined.
- Use a box cheese grater to grate the stick of butter, then add to the flour mixture. Use a fork or a whisk to incorporate the flour until the mixture looks like wet sand, or the butter is at least broken into small lumps.
- Whisk or stir in the cheddar shreds until combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined into a raggy dough.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and turn the dough out onto the surface, using your hands to form a rectangle about 8 inches by 6 inches. Cut the rectangle into 4 sections, then stack them on top of each other and press down gently to squish them together (this is how you get nice flaky layers!).
- Use your hands to form another rectangle about the same size, then cut in half lengthwise. Then cut 3 rows, making a total of 6 pieces. Place biscuits on a baking sheet.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving with a generous pat of butter. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the fridge up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 12 minutes