The flakiest, buttery, vegan cheddar biscuits! Simple to make and beyond delicious.
- 1 cup unsweetened original nondairy milk
- 1 tbsp vinegar (white vinegar or apple cider vinegar)
- 2–1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold vegan butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup vegan cheddar shreds
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a small bowl, mix together the nondairy milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined.
- Use a box cheese grater to grate the stick of butter, then add to the flour mixture. Use a fork or a whisk to incorporate the flour until the mixture looks like wet sand, or the butter is at least broken into small lumps.
- Whisk or stir in the cheddar shreds until combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined into a raggy dough.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and turn the dough out onto the surface, using your hands to form a rectangle about 8 inches by 6 inches. Cut the rectangle into 4 sections, then stack them on top of each other and press down gently to squish them together (this is how you get nice flaky layers!).
- Use your hands to form another rectangle about the same size, then cut in half lengthwise. Then cut 3 rows, making a total of 6 pieces. Place biscuits on a baking sheet.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for about 12 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving with a generous pat of butter. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the fridge up to 4 days.