Spicy, cheesy, red pepper vodka pasta with fresh basil & chilli flakes.
- 2 cups dry shell pasta
- 3 tbsp vegan butter or olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp vodka
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
- fresh basil for garnish
- Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or pot, add the vegan butter and heat until sizzling. Add the onion, garlic and bell pepper and cook 5 minutes until softened.
- Add the tomato paste, vodka and coconut milk and simmer 3 minutes until thickened slightly.
- Add to a blender and blend until smooth. Remember, when blending hot liquids, remove the plug in the center of the blender lid and cover loosely with a tea towel to let steam escape so it doesn’t explode!
- Add sauce and pasta back to skillet and stir to combine. Heat on low-medium. Add chilli flakes and vegan cheese and stir, heating until cheese is melted. Serve with fresh basil, if desired.