- 3 large slices sourdough bread (mine is cut from an oval loaf)
- 2 tsp vegan margarine or softened vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tbsp cashew basil cream sauce (see below)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 large tomato, sliced
- 4 slices of vegan cheese (I used this one)
- 10 slices Yves veggie turkey (or other sliced vegan turkey)
- optional: sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning
Cashew Basil Cream Sauce:
*see note below if you do not have a high-speed blender that can blend nuts smooth.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup packed basil leaves
- pinch of salt
- Make the basil cream sauce: in a high-speed blender, combine all sauce ingredients and blend until completely smooth. Set aside.
- Add margarine to one side of one slice of bread. Place the slice, margarine side down on a cutting board. Spread 1 tbsp basil cream sauce on dry side. Layer with 2 slices of vegan cheese, half of the avocado slices, half the tomato slices and 5 slices of turkey.
- Add 1 tsp basil cream sauce to both sides of the next slice of bread. Add on top of sandwich. Layer with 2 slices of vegan cheese, the rest of the avocado slices, the rest of the tomato slices, 5 slices of turkey and a sprinkle of everything bagel seasoning (if using).
- Spread 1 tsp basil cream sauce on one side of last slice of bread. Place sauce side down on sandwich and add 1 tsp margarine to dry side.
- Cook on panini press about 5 minutes, until golden brown and crispy, and cheese is melted.
- Let cool slightly before cutting in half and serving.
*If you do not have a high-speed blender that can blend nuts until smooth, you can substitute 3/4 cup raw cashew butter for the raw cashews and water. Simply proceed with the recipe as directed, blending the cashew butter with the other sauce ingredients.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes