A creamy, warm summer vegetable dip with fresh herbs, and toasted baguette for dipping.
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 small or 1 large zucchini, finely chopped or grated
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes (approx 1 pint), halved
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- optional: 2 tbsp vodka
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional: olive oil and chilli flakes for serving
- 1 baguette, ripped into chunks
- drizzle of oil
- pinch of salt and pepper
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a mixing bowl, toss baguette with oil, salt and pepper until coated and spread in an even layer onto sheet pan.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large skillet or frying pan on medium heat, add the vegan butter. When sizzling, add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, zucchini and cherry tomatoes. Cook, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, until onion starts to turn translucent.
- Reduce heat slightly and cover with a lid or sheet pan to trap the steam. Cook about 10 minutes, until veggies soften and tomatoes begin to burst.
- Add the tomato paste and vodka and increase heat to medium and simmer, stirring frequently for about 5 minutes. The vegetables should start to break apart as you stir. You can use a spatula or even a potato masher to break them down a bit more.
- Put the baguette sheet pan in the preheated oven and bake about 5 minutes until lightly golden brown and toasted.
- Add the hummus, herbs and a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Taste and add some more salt if needed. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir frequently so it doesn’t get stuck to the pan. Add a splash of water if it seems too thick.
- Add dip to a serving dish. Optional step: drizzle the top with some olive oil and a sprinkle of chilli flakes.
- Remove baguette from oven and add to serving platter. Serve immediately. Enjoy!