Sweet and smoky tofu bacon BLT sandwiches on homemade flaky, buttery vegan biscuits.
- 12 oz of tofu (1 regular block) sliced into 12 strips
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup unsweetened original nondairy milk
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1–1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup cold vegan butter
- 4 tbsp sweet chilli mustard, mayo or other sauce of choice
- 8 slices of tomato
- 2 cups mixed greens or lettuce
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Make the biscuits: Mix together the nondairy milk and vinegar and set aside (this is your vegan buttermilk).
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt and mix until combined.
- Cut or grate butter with a cheese grater into very small pieces. Combine with the flour mixture by hand or with a pastry blender until incorporated into a crumbly mixture that resembles wet sand. Add the buttermilk, stirring with a wooden spoon until just combined.
- Use hands to form 4 biscuits approximately 3 inches in diameter. Place on prepared baking sheet. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown on top. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Make the tofu bacon: Press tofu strips with a clean dish towel or paper towel to remove excess moisture. In a shallow bowl or container, mix together soy sauce, maple syrup, water and smoked paprika. Add tofu strips and submerge. Let sit about 5 minutes.
- To a large frying pan on medium heat, add a drizzle of oil. Fry tofu strips a few minutes per side, until starting to crisp.
- Assemble the BLTs: Slice biscuits in half and add sweet chilli mustard, mayo or other sauce of choice. Add 3 strips of tofu bacon to each, followed by 2 slices of tomato and a small handful of greens. Enjoy!