Happy Friday!! To celebrate this gorgeous sunny start to the weekend I wanted to share my new pasta recipe with you: vegan Summer Veggie Sauce Pasta with Basil Feta! If you remember I shared a recipe for Warm Summer Veggie and Herb Dip a few days ago, and this recipe come from that! I had extra dip left over (recipe testing means we always have leftovers) and I thought… this would make an amazing pasta sauce. Also, if you’re not a warm dip lover, this is a great way to use that healthy dip recipe for something that suits your fancy a little more :).
So, I popped it in the vitamix and blended it until mostly smooth, added a little bit of pasta water to thin it out and make it silky, and then blitzed some vegan feta and fresh basil in the food processor until crumbly. Put it all together, and you have a winner! I love the idea of making the dip and then using the leftovers for this pasta because then you get two meals from one! This is an excellent recipe for summer as it uses all the in-season summer veggies and herbs. I’m telling you, this one is a new fav and I will be enjoying it all summer long!
About the dip…
So easy. It’s all cooked in a skillet until saucy, and then we stir in a little bit of hummus to add creaminess and the perfect amount of garlicky tang. You could even just stir the pasta into the dip if you like a chunkier sauce with whole veggies, or you can blend the dip until smooth. I blended it because I love a classic sauce texture, but adding the pasta right to the dip takes out that extra step. Up to you! Even Greg was surprised at how much he loves this recipe, because normally he’s not really a vegetable-lover!Print
Summer Veggie Sauce Pasta with Basil Feta
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 3-4 servings
This pasta recipe uses my Warm Summer Vegetable and Herb Dip to make a delicious veggie-packed sauce. Then its topped with basil feta and a squeeze of fresh lemon.
- 1 batch Warm Summer Vegetable and Herb Dip
- 180g dry small shape pasta (I used bow ties, macaroni or penne work too)
- 1/4 cup reserved pasta water (see steps below)
- 1/2 cup vegan feta or vegan cheese shreds
- 1/4 cup packed basil leaves
- fresh lemon wedges for serving
- Follow the steps in this recipe to make the veggie dip. If using leftover dip, simply move on to the next step.
- To a large pot of water add a generous pinch of salt and bring to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package directions. Before draining, reserve 1/4 cup pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta then add back to pot.
- Add the dip to a blender with the pasta water and blend until smooth. Add to pasta pot and stir together with pasta. Put on low heat to warm through.
- In a food processor, add the vegan feta or cheese shreds and basil leaves. Pulse a few times until crumbly. If you don’t have a food processor, simply crumble the cheese yourself and finely chop the basil. It will still be great! And “rustic” :). Serve with pasta or sprinkle overtop just before serving.
- I like to serve with some toasted baguette, fresh lemon juice and the basil feta. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes