Welcome to a super simple summer-inspired recipe: Crispy Baked Vegan Chicken with Pesto & Green Pea Brown Rice. Vegan chicken breast, battered and breaded in a smoked paprika breading, then baked until crispy and golden. We make a quick cashew pesto sauce (you can sub any other nut or seed you prefer) to spread on the chicken as well as stir into brown rice with some sweet green peas. Serve crispy baked vegan chicken with plenty of extra pesto because you’ll want to dunk every bite in that delicious sauce! This meal is incredibly delicious, sort of healthy, and perfect for a busy weeknight dinner… and then leftovers for lunch the next day!
This is one of those recipes that is so hearty and filling (and packed with pant-based protein!) yet tastes light and summery thanks to the fresh herby basil pesto sauce.
Crispy Baked Vegan Chicken with Pesto & Green Pea Brown Rice
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 3-4 servings
Baked breaded crispy vegan chicken with pesto sauce and brown rice with pesto and green peas.
Crispy Baked Vegan Chicken:
- 3 vegan chicken breasts (or 1 block of firm tofu, cut into chunks) I get mine from Real Fake Meats here in Halifax.
- 1/2 cup cornflake or breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp flour + 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt to taste
Pesto & Green Pea Brown Rice:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce (above)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl, whisk together cornflake crumbs, flour, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl combine flour and oat milk.
- Dip vegan meat in batter, then coat in breading mixture. Add to an oiled pan or skillet and bake 20 minutes, flipping halfway through until brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package. When cooked, add frozen peas and pace lid on top to steam a few minutes.
- Add pesto sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth(ish).
- Add 2 tbsp pesto sauce to brown rice and stir to combine.
- Serve! And enjoy
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes