Baked breaded crispy vegan chicken with pesto sauce and brown rice with pesto and green peas.
Crispy Baked Vegan Chicken:
- 3 vegan chicken breasts (or 1 block of firm tofu, cut into chunks) I get mine from Real Fake Meats here in Halifax.
- 1/2 cup cornflake or breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp flour + 1/2 cup plant milk
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt to taste
Pesto & Green Pea Brown Rice:
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce (above)
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- In a bowl, whisk together cornflake crumbs, flour, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. In a separate bowl combine flour and oat milk.
- Dip vegan meat in batter, then coat in breading mixture. Add to an oiled pan or skillet and bake 20 minutes, flipping halfway through until brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, cook brown rice according to package. When cooked, add frozen peas and pace lid on top to steam a few minutes.
- Add pesto sauce ingredients to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth(ish).
- Add 2 tbsp pesto sauce to brown rice and stir to combine.
- Serve! And enjoy