You’re going to love this creamy, cheesy, mouthwatering sweet heat “chicken” queso mac and cheese. If you needed an excuse to eat more carbs this week, here it is! I can’t think of a better bowl for this pasta, than a bowl made of bread!
That all said, I’m sharing the easiest ever recipe today! This version of Liv’s famous mac n’ cheese recipe can be found here on the blog and in her new cookbook, so go check it out! I’ve made my own twist, by adding a good helping of sweet and spicy BBQ “chicken” to satisfy all the cravings! And honestly… it’s the absolute best for anything from a cold day in the fall to a warm summer evening, dining on the deck! Growing up, mac and cheese was something I made nearly every day after school. It’s no wonder I was always testing the limits and felt the need to come up with the perfect recipe of my own! Long gone are the days of boxed mac and cheese, adding ketchup or hot dogs to give it a little extra flavour. This is a gourmet-twist (Greg’s Vegan Gourmet, that is), and a levelled up version of mac and cheese.
This is the essential guide to how mac and cheese should be from now on. And it doesn’t hurt that it looks a little extra special when you add it to a bread bowl to bake. It just adds that crispy texture and flavour that will impress all your family and friends. This isn’t your average bowl of pasta!
Sweet Heat “Chicken” Queso Mac and Cheese (Dairy-Free/Vegan)
- Total Time: 50 Minutes
- Yield: 4 Servings
Creamy, cheesy, mouthwatering sweet heat “chicken” queso mac and cheese baked in a bread bowl.
- 1 batch One Pot Mac And Cheese
- 1 round loaf of bread approx 6″ in diameter
- 4 vegan chicken tenders (I used Gardein)
- 1/4 cup sweet BBQ sauce
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Follow instructions to prepare mac and cheese. Set aside.
- Slice off the top of bread loaf and hollow out middle by ripping out small chunks of bread. You can save them to bake into croutons if desired!
- Cook chicken tenders according to package directions and chop into bite sized pieces. Add to mixing bowl with BBQ sauce, hot sauce, parsley and toss.
- Add chicken tenders to mac and cheese and stir gently to combine.
- Add mac and cheese mixture to bread bowl and bake in preheated oven for ten minutes, until golden brown and crispy on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes
- Cook Time: 10 Minutes