Today we are making a summer staple: Cold Brew Coffee! And we are adding my typical Liv B/Canadian flair with some Maple Cinnamon Oat Milk Cold Foam! So let’s have a little chat before we get into it.
We’re in the middle of a heat wave here on the east coast. This summer has been quite cold and gloomy, but this past week the temperature has been creeping up and we actually had heat warnings all weekend! Combine some high temps with a lot of humidity and you’ve got (well, frizzy hair, for starters) but also, weather that is TOO HOT for HOT coffee!
As you might have seen if you follow me on instagram, Sunday was my bridal shower! Ahh! So crazy. We were away in PEI for two weeks from August 1st onwards, and then came back, had a craaaaazy 2 days getting everything together for the shower, and then it happened! I definitely need a stress relief mini vacation after these last two weeks. A packed family trip to the cottage followed by hosting 17 people at my parents’ house was quite the plate-full.
For the bridal shower, we planned on doing a tea party with tea & coffee, a cocktail, and biscuits, cookies, etc. But to be honest, the most popular drink of the whole shower was my last minute decision to do a giant pitcher of cold brew coffee! Given the heat, no one was really feeling hot tea or coffee, so cold brew to the rescue! And now I am reminded why I adore cold brew so much.
What is Cold Brew? Is it like Iced Coffee??
It is very unlike iced coffee, which is hot coffee or espresso brewed HOT, and then put over ice to cool it down quickly. Cold brew is actually steeped in cold water for a day or two so its never heated. The result is such a delicious, rich, full of flavour brew that is much less acidic tasting than regular coffee. Its so easy to make, but I also love buying cold brew in the store when I’m short on time! Cold brew needs to steep for at least overnight so when you want it NOW, store-bought is the way to go. The brand I get is Stok and it is truly sooooo yummy! However, I’ll include instructions in the recipe to make your own cold brew because its definitely the most cost-effective method and perfect if you have a favourite coffee in your cupboard already!
Cold Brew Coffee with Maple Cinnamon Oat Milk Cold Foam
- Total Time: 10 minutes for the finished coffee
- Yield: 1 coffee (but extra cold brew)
Cold brew coffee with a homemade vegan oat milk cold foam, sweetened with maple syrup and cinnamon.
Cold Brew Coffee:
- 1 cup ground coffee
- 3 cups cold water
Maple Cinnamon Cold Foam:
- 1 cup cold oat milk
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- Make the cold brew (if using store-bought, skip this step): add the ground coffee to large pitcher or bowl. Pour over the water. Stir gently and then cover with plastic wrap or a reusable food cover wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight up to 2 days. Strain the coffee through a mesh strainer lined with a piece of cheesecloth. You can also do this in a French press as it has a very fine mesh strainer that can strain out the coffee grounds.
Store in a mason jar in the fridge for up to 1 week. I like to make a big batch of cold brew for the week but make the cold foam fresh each morning.
- In a milk frother (I use the Instant Brands one that does cold foam) add the milk, maple syrup and cinnamon. Press the cold foam setting. If you only have a hand held frother, simply froth the cold milk, maple syrup and cinnamon in a glass or small pitcher until frothy.
- Add some ice cubes to a serving glass. Fill 3/4 full with cold brew, then fill the rest with the cold foam. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus overnight chilling)