Crispy pretzel-crusted vegan chicken, drizzled with sweet and tangy creamy maple mustard sauce, and topped off with crunchy iceberg lettuce on a pretzel bun.
- 2 vegan chicken breasts (I use Real Fake Meats or PC Plant Based) but you can also use homemade seitan chick’n, tofu chunks or any other substitute you like
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups pretzels, crushed (I did this in my food processor)
- 1 1/2 cups nondairy milk
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- oil for frying
- 2 pretzel buns or any vegan burger bun
- 1 cup chopped fresh lettuce
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
Creamy Sweet & Tangy Maple Mustard Sauce:
- 1 tbsp mustard
- 2 tbsp vegan mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- Get 2 bowls. In one bowl, add the flour, pretzel crumbs, pepper and paprika. In the second bowl, add the nondairy milk.
- Preheat a large frying pan to medium high heat. Add a good drizzle of oil.
- Dip each piece of vegan chicken in the milk, then the pretzel mixture, pressing lightly on all sides to make it stick. Then gently go back into the milk, and then the pretzel coating one more time.
- Once the oil is hot, add the vegan chicken pieces and cook until golden, about 5-6 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the maple mustard sauce. Set aside.
- Remove the the vegan chicken from the pan when golden brown and crispy on all sides. Place on a paper towel-lined plate to remove any excess oil, if desired. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.
- Add vegan butter to a frying pan on medium heat and once melted, and the burger buns face-down. Fry until golden and crispy, then remove from heat.
- Onto the bottom half of of the buns, layer the finely chopped lettuce, chicken breast, and desired amount of maple mustard sauce. Add the top buns and serve.