Creamy, cozy and savoury pumpkin sauce tossed with gnocchi and steamed kale, served with a drizzle of warm sage butter.
- 350g fresh potato gnocchi (I use this one)
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup nondairy milk like oat or soy
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp lemon juice (or more to taste, if you like it a bit tangier)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup or brown sugar
- 1 tbsp minced fresh sage
- 2 cups fresh kale, chopped
- a pinch of salt and pepper (more to taste)
- optional: vegan parm for serving
Sage Butter Sauce:
- 4 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage
- To a large frying pan on medium heat, add the vegan butter, garlic and shallot. Cook about 3 minutes, stirring frequently, until just starting to brown.
- Add the pumpkin puree, nondairy milk, lemon juice, nutmeg, cinnamon, maple syrup and sage. Stir to combine. Bring to a light simmer, but you might need to cover it with a sheet pan or lid if it starts sputtering as sometimes pumpkin sauce can do that!
- Boil the gnocchi according to package directions. Drain and add to sauce. Turn heat to low.
- Steam the kale in a steamer for about 1 minute, until vibrant in colour and slightly softened. Add to gnocchi and stir. Add a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Taste and adjust if needed.
- In a small pot or frying pan, add the vegan butter and sage and fry about 2 minutes, until simmering and fragrant. Serve in a small serving dish to drizzle overtop before eating.
- Serve with butter sauce, vegan parm and fresh black pepper. Enjoy!