Sourdough bread in a pumpkin pie-infused batter, fried until golden and topped with pumpkin sauce, coco whip and maple syrup.
- 1/2 block firm tofu (approx 6 oz.)
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
For the French Toast:
- Vegan butter for frying
- 8 thick slices of your favourite bread, I use sourdough
- pumpkin sauce (optional)
- Maple syrup
- coconut whipped cream (optional)
- extra pumpkin pie spice for sprinkling
- Start by making the batter: add the tofu, pumpkin, plant-based milk, sugar, vanilla and pumpkin spice to a blender and blend until smooth. Pour batter into a shallow bowl.
- Heat a large frying pan to medium-high heat and add some vegan butter. When it starts to sizzle, dip a slice of bread into the batter, then quickly dip the other side. Allow any excess to drip off, then place in the pan. Cook a few minutes per side until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the bread.
- Top with pumpkin sauce, coconut whip, maple syrup and a sprinkle of pumpkin spice. Enjoy!
Tip: the batter can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This is great if you want to have french toast throughout the week (this way you don’t have to make the batter every time!).