Smoky stovetop pumpkin and chilli with cinnamon, vegan sausage, lentils and sage. Such a winning combination!
- 3 vegan sausages (I use Beyond Meat or Gusta)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 28 oz (796 mL) no salt added diced tomatoes
- 1 cup dry red lentils
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp chilli powder (chilli powder is a mix of paprika, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder, you can buy it or make your own!)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh sage leaves
- fresh cracked black pepper for serving
- optional: vegan sour cream for serving
- optional: vegan cheese for serving
- In a large pot on low-medium heat, add the oil and vegan sausage cook about 5 minutes, crumbling it as it browns. If it is pre-cooked sausage, simply add to the pot and proceed to step 2.
- Add onion, garlic, and carrot and cook a few minutes until onion becomes translucent and carrots soften slightly.
- Add the tomatoes, lentils, broth, pumpkin, chilli powder, smoked paprika, cinnamon and salt and stir to combine.
- Bring to a low simmer and cook, covered, stirring occasionally, for 25 minutes until lentils are tender. Uncover, add the sage and simmer a few more minutes until thickened.
- Serve immediately, or allow to cool completely and store in airtight containers up to 5 days or freeze up to 3 months.