Pumpkin spice latte-inspired cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, stuffed with a gooey pumpkin sauce center.
Pumpkin Spice Latte Cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk like oat or soy
- 1/2 cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 6 oz vegan cream cheese (I use the PC Plant-Based or Daiya Brand)
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5–6 cups (approx) powdered sugar
Pumpkin Sauce Filling:
- 1/2 cup pumpkin sauce (approx) for filling
- 6 cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- extra pumpkin spice for dusting on top
- Grease or line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper liners. Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the nondairy milk, coffee, sugar, pumpkin puree, oil, vanilla and vinegar and stir until combined and sugar is dissolved.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice and salt until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until just combined (make sure to scrape the bottom so there are no dry ingredients hiding). A few small lumps are okay, try not to over-mix or the cupcakes can get a bit gummy. Just mix until it is all combined.
- Divide between 12 muffin cups (approx 1/3 cup of batter for each). Bake in preheated oven for 18-20 minutes, until golden brown and a few cracks appear on top. You can insert a toothpick in the center and pull it out- if it comes out clean or with just a few crumbs clinging, they’re done! Just make sure there isn’t any wet batter on the toothpick. Let cool completely before filling and frosting.
- Make the cream cheese frosting: In the bowl of a stand mixer or regular mixing bowl, add the vegan butter, cream cheese, lemon juice and vanilla extract and cream together with the stand mixer paddle or a hand mixer until combined. Add the powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating to incorporate into a smooth and thick frosting.
- Once cupcakes are fully cool, then remove a portion of the center using a knife, apple corer, etc and set aside. Fill with a few tsp of pumpkin sauce, then cover with a little piece of the removed center.
- Using a frosting tip and piping bag, add a swirl of frosting onto each cupcake. Stick a cinnamon stick half in the side, then dust some pumpkin spice on top (if desired). Store in a large airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.