Fluffy, moist and buttery soft vegan cornbread, perfect for dipping in chilli or serving with fall soups!
- 1 cup non-dairy milk + 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 tbsp egg replacer (or chia seeds/ground flax seeds) + 3 tbsp water
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all purpose flour (or buckwheat flour if you’re gluten-free)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F / 200°C. Line a 5″x9″ loaf pan with parchment paper or grease it.
- Stir together the non-dairy milk and vinegar. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add melted vegan butter, vegan egg, and non-dairy milk mixture. Stir until it becomes a batter.
- Pour into prepared loaf tin and bake approx 25 minutes, until cracked on top and edges are slightly golden brown. You can insert a toothpick in the center and remove it- if it comes out clean or with a few crumbs clinging, its done. If it comes out with wet batter, bake a few more minutes.
- Let cool about 15 minutes in the pan before attempting to remove and slice. Serve with butter. Enjoy!