Shepherd’s pie meets pot pie meets cobbler. Vegan beef and vegetables in a gravy, topped with biscuit cobbler topping.
- 1 package (454g) Beyond Meat Ground Beef or same amount of alternative vegan beef
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup frozen peas or corn
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk like oat or soy
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cold vegan butter or solid coconut oil
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk like oat or soy
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a round, casserole dish (approximately 2.5 litre dish like this).
- In a medium pot on the stove, add the potato and carrot and add water until just submerged. Boil on high heat, stirring occasionally, until fork-tender, about 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a frying pan on medium heat, add the vegan beef and onion and cook, crumbling the beef, until browned, about 6-8 minutes.
- In the casserole dish, add the broth, nondairy milk, corn starch, tomato paste, chilli powder, paprika, garlic powder and nutmeg and whisk to combine.
- In a large mixing bowl. whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the vegan butter and use a pastry blender, two knives or a whisk to combine with the flour until it is a crumbly mixture that resembles wet sand. Add the nondairy milk and mix until just combined (it will be sort of a lumpy, uneven dough).
- Once potatoes and carrots are cooked, drain and add to casserole dish. Add the frozen peas. Once beef and onions are cooked, add to casserole dish and stir gently to combine everything.
- Use a small spoon to drop clumps of dough overtop.
- Bake, uncovered in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until browned on top and bubbling.
- Remove from oven and let cool about 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!