Crispy golden puff pastry mini pot pies, with a thyme and tofu vegan pot pie filling.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp finely chopped onion
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced and then chopped into small pieces
- 1/4 cup frozen peas
- 100g firm tofu, crumbled
- 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup vegetable broth or vegetarian “chicken” flavoured broth
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, optional
- 400g store-bought vegan puff pastry (Tenderflake is vegan where I live!)
- oil or nondairy milk for brushing the tops
- coarse salt, optional
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper. Roll out the puff pastry and slice to create 8 squares about 3 inches by 3 inches. Place 4 on the sheet pan.
- To a large frying pan on medium high heat, add the oil, onion and carrot. Cook about 3 minutes, until onion becomes translucent. Add the peas and tofu and cook another 3 minutes or so, until tofu starts to brown.
- Add the flour and stir quickly to coat. Add half of the broth, stirring to combine and letting it thicken, then add the other half of the broth as well as a pinch of salt and pepper and the thyme, and stir again to combine, letting it thicken a few minutes.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of filling to the center of each square on the sheet pan, then cover each with another square of pastry. Press around the edges to seal, then use a fork to crimp.
- Use a sharp knife to cut a small slit in the top of each to allow steam to escape. Brush the top with some oil or nondairy milk, sprinkle on some coarse salt, then bake 25 minutes, until puffy, golden and crisp.
- Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before serving.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes