Herb Meatball and Dumpling Soup, the coziest weeknight dinner to warm you from the inside out! Herby broth filled with veggies, plant-based meatballs and homemade chewy dumplings which are like fluffy little pockets of heaven!
Happy Tuesday! It’s officially cold here. We had to turn on the heat and my toes are always cold and I had to bust out my puffy coat for morning walks. I would say I’m sad but so far I kind of love it! Cozy season is the best, it just lasts a liiiiittle too long here on the east coast. Fortunately, we have recipes like this to keep us fed, happy and warm!
I know how much you all adored this Cheesy Squash & Dumpling Soup from last fall, so I had to make a new version. This one is a thinner base made with vegetable broth, chunky veggies as opposed to pureed, and packed with hearty vegan meatballs, and of course, the dumplings! I love this recipe so much because it really is simple to make, despite looking like it takes a lot of effort.
Start by searing your veggie meatballs (I like to use Beyond Meat or The Very Good Butchers) and onions. Then, add the potatoes and carrots and cook a few more mins.
Add the broth, nondairy milk and herbs and simmer for about 8 minutes to mostly cook the veggies and meatballs. While it simmers, you can whisk together the 5 dumpling ingredients: flour, salt, vegan cheese, nondairy milk and baking powder.
Then, simply drop little spoonfuls of dumpling batter into the soup and simmer 8 more minutes, until puffed up and fluffy. Toss in the kale and let it wilt for 30 seconds, then serve!
I love to serve this soup with a crusty bread for dipping, but it is totally not necessary because the dumplings are bread-like also. I, however, prefer double the carbs. I hope you love this recipe!
In the mood for more soup? Check out these recipes:
Potato Leek Soup with Smoky Chili OilPrint
Herb Meatball and Dumpling Soup
- 2 tbsp oil
- 8 vegan meatballs
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large potato, diced
- 2 1/2 cups vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups nondairy milk
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- pinch salt and pepper
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk
- To a large pot over medium heat, add the oil, meatballs and onion and cook 5 minutes, until meatballs are browned on the outside and onions start to turn translucent.
- Add carrots and potatoes and cook another 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the broth, nondairy milk and spices and bring to a boil. Cook, covered, for 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, add the flour, baking powder, salt, and thyme and whisk to combine. Add nondairy milk and stir to form a sticky batter. Set aside.
- Use a tablespoon to drop dollops of batter into the soup. Try not to let them touch. Cover and let simmer another 8 minutes, until dumplings are expanded in size and floating on top.
- Add the kale and let wilt for about 30 seconds. Taste broth and add any more salt and pepper as needed. Serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge up to 3 days. To reheat, add to a pot over low-medium heat and stir frequently, until warmed through.
This looks really good, and easy! Can’t wait to try it!
Just made this soup for supper. Hearty, super delicious and easy to make. Another soup in my arsenal during the winter. Thank you.
Easy and delicious! If I was too have one little criticism it’s that I would probably want more dumplings, but I’m a carb fiend so that’s probably just me. Definitely will make again