A double shot of espresso combined with homemade caramel syrup, topped with steamed milk and whipped cream, sprinkled with caramel brulée bits.
Brûlée Bits Topping:
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 tsp caramel extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
For the latte:
- Double shot of espresso (or 1/2 cup strong brewed coffee)
- 1 cup nondairy milk like oat or soy
- vegan whipped cream for topping
- Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Make the brûlée bits: In a small pot on medium-high heat, add the sugar and heat until it starts to dissolve, then melts and turns an amber colour, stirring occasionally. This takes about 8 minutes. Pour in to a puddle on the prepared baking sheet. Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Once cool, light bash it/break apart with the back of a spoon (I like to cover it with a piece of parchment paper so sugar chunks don’t go flying).
- Make the syrup: in a small pot on medium heat, add the syrup ingredients and whisk to combine. Bring to a simmer and let cook until sugar is dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Make the latte: Brew your espresso into a large mug. Add 2 tbsp of syrup (or as much as you like) and stir to combine. Steam your milk in a frother or in a pot on the stove, until hot. Add to the mug. Top withy whipped cream and brûlée bits.
** Store leftover syrup in an airtight container in the fridge up to 1 week. Store brûlée bits in a container in the fridge up to 1 month.