The best and easiest one-bowl chocolate chip banana muffins got a *slight* makeover! Enter: the new and improved Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins with Crunchy Cinnamon Topping! It’s Wednesday and I think we all need a little treat to get us through to the weekend, yeah?
Guys, I STILL don’t want to cook. All I want to do is listen to cafe jazz music and make pastries and sweets. Ever since coming home from our honeymoon I am in the biggest baking mood ever. Last weekend I tackled homemade vegan croissants (and absolutely crushed it, somehow) which took 24 hours. Even after spending a full 24 hours making croissants, I still want to bake things. Today was homemade puff pastry, crepes and these muffins. The puff pastry is coming up soon and there crepes are still under construction (do you know how hard it is to make authentic crepes vegan? They’re like, 50% egg… anyway). Today I am sharing these muffins because I made them last weekend for Sunday coffee and they were an absolute hit.
I actually whipped them up while waiting for the croissants to bake because I was sure I had messed up the croissants at some point. So these were my backup muffins. I chose the quick One-Bowl Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins recipe because they’re the easiest thing ever and literally never ever fail me. But then I decided to amp them up a bit with some tweaks and add crunchy cinnamon streusel on top. GOOD MOVE. They’re incredible! Like, eat-6-muffins-in-one-sitting-before-you-realize-how-sick-you-feel, incredible.
So, enjoy these muffins. They are easy but truly bakery-quality and I promise you will love them!
Looking for more muffins? Try these:Print
Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins with Crunchy Cinnamon Topping
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 12 muffins
Super simple fluffy vegan banana muffins dotted with chocolate chips, layered with a crunchy buttery cinnamon topping.
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter or coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour (I used half all-purpose and half spelt)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
Crunchy Cinnamon Topping:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Mash the bananas in a mixing bowl. Add the vegan butter, sugar, milk and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder and cinnamon and stir well to form a thick batter. Add the chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Divide the batter between 12 muffin cups.
- Make the crunchy cinnamon topping: In a small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients and use a pastry blender, fork or two butter knives to cut into it until it makes a crumbly mixture.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of topping to each muffin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 350 F and bake 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly in the muffin tin, before serving warm or transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Store in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days or in the fridge up to 5 days.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
These are so delicious. Very moist and I love the crunchy topping.
I’m a huge fan of all things Liv B and these muffins just made my kids your #1 fans, too! The only “issue” I always seem to have is with the crumble topping. I’ve tried just about every trick I know and can’t get it to work. It never turns to crumble, more like a wet mush that melts on top. I’ve tried cold butter, room temperature, and softened but all are the same result. Even my daughter found this to be true when she made them at her place. Either way, they are delicious and we’ll keep making them, but I sure wish I could figure out how to get mine to have a true (dry, crumbly) crumble. 😉
These were so easy to make and truly so delicious. Especially loved eating them still warm.
One of my favourites! 🙂