This is one of those easy appetizers that screams holiday! This creamy whipped feta is mixed with hummus to add even more creaminess and a hint of garlic. It is then topped with sticky, caramelized dates and sliced almonds which add an amazing sweetness and chew. It is finished with a hot maple drizzle, and served with crispy bread chunks for scooping up all of that deliciousness. You and your friends & family will LOVE this Vegan Whipped Feta with Sticky Date Almonds and Hot Maple Drizzle!
I saw a similar recipe on instagram by The Original Dish and decided we need a vegan version for the holidays! Greg and I could not stop eating it – this stuff is so addicting. This recipe is featured in the new episode of my holiday YouTube series Liv’s Holiday Menu. You can’t have a holiday dinner or party without decadent appetizers, right? Normally I’m not an appetizer person but in November and December, give me all the cheesy, puff pastry, sweet and salty finger foods. You can watch the video below!
Ingredient’s You’ll Need:
- olive oil
- sliced almonds or cashews
- ground cinnamon
- maple syrup
- dairy-free feta cheese
- vegan cream cheese or plain greek-style yogurt (optional, for extra creaminess)
- dried thyme & oregano
- hot sauce or chili flakes
- baguette, chips, crackers, pita bread or veggies for dipping
- sprouts or fresh herbs for garnish
How to make Whipped Feta Dip:
For the most authentic “feta” taste, I used store-bought vegan feta by Violife (I also love the one by Fresh Start)! However, if you can’t find vegan feta cheese, any other soft vegan salt cheese should work. You can also make your own! A homemade cashew to tofu based vegan cheese will work just as well. The instructions couldn’t be more simple: blend the feta dip ingredients in a food processor or blender and then smooth into a serving bowl.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I make this dip nut-free?
Yes, ensure the vegan cheese you are using is nut-free. You can substitute the almonds for your favourite seeds like pumpkin, sunflower or even sesame seeds.
What is dairy-free feta cheese made of?
Most vegan feta is made using a combination of nuts, tofu and oil. There are many different brands of vegan feta and you can also make it yourself!
Where can you buy dairy-free feta?
You can buy dairy-free feta or vegan feta cheese at many major grocery retailers, as well as make it yourself at home.
Looking for more holiday dips & appetizers? Check out:
Buffalo Chicken Dip with Ranch CheesePrint
Vegan Whipped Feta with Sticky Date Almonds and Hot Maple Drizzle
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings as an app
Creamy, salty whipped vegan feta dip with sticky caramelized dates & almonds and topped with hot maple drizzle.
Sticky Caramelized Dates & Sliced Almonds
- 1 tbsp oil
- 10 dates, pitted and chopped
- 3 tbsp sliced almonds
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp brown sugar or maple syrup
Whipped Feta Dip:
- 200g block of feta cheese, crumbled (or 1 cup homemade feta)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup hummus
- 1/4 cup vegan cream cheese (optional, for extra creaminess)
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
Hot Maple Drizzle:
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 baguette, ripped into chunks
- 2 tbsp oil
- salt & black pepper to taste
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add the oil, dates, almonds, cinnamon and brown sugar and stir to coat. Heat, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes, until sticky and caramelized. Set aside to cool (you can transfer to a small bowl so it doesn’t stick to your pan).
- In a food processor, add all whipped feta ingredients and process until completely smooth and creamy. Spoon into a large shallow bowl and use your spoon to swirl and spread it around.
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Place the bread chunks on a sheet pan and drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Toss to coat. Bake about 5-10 minutes, until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, stir together hot maple drizzle ingredients.
- When ready to serve, spoon chunks of the sticky dates & almonds overtop of the whipped feta. Spoon on the hot maple drizzle, then serve immediately with warm bread chunks. Enjoy!
This recipe was inspired by Half Baked Harvest’s Whipped Goat Cheese with Warm Candied Bacon and Dates.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Made this twice over the holidays and everyone loved it! Non-vegan family members couldn’t even tell the difference
Wow. Thanks for that recipe Liv. We are addicted to that.
All the best from Germany, Alice
This was delicious.. my non vegan family members absolutely loved it … thank you Liv much appreciated
Absolutly delicious! Cant stop making it !