Fluffy vegan cinnamon rolls baked in a pan of maple brown sugar caramel, then flipped over – sticky buns!
- 1 1/2 cups nondairy milk, lukewarm (just warm to the touch)
- 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 cup softened vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- In a mixing bowl, stir together lukewarm milk and yeast and let sit for 5 minutes until foamy.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer add the flour, salt and sugar and whisk to combine. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast/milk mixture and melted butter. Mix on low speed or with a large spoon until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl (it will still be a bit sticky).
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly-floured surface and form into a ball. Place in a medium size bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and place in a slightly warm, draft-free area for 1-2 hours to rise, until about doubled in size.
- Grease a 9×13″ pan (I used metal) with cooking spray or vegan butter. Set aside.
- When the dough has about 15 minutes of rising time left, make the caramel: In a small pot on medium heat, add the maple syrup, brown sugar, vegan butter and vanilla. Heat until butter is melted and mixture is combined, then increase heat to medium-high until mixture comes to a boil. Let boil for about 30 seconds, then remove from heat and pour into the prepared metal pan. Set aside.
- Make the rolls: Turn the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a long rectangle with a rolling pin, approximately 20 inches by 9 inches. Spread the vegan butter evenly over the dough, leaving a 1 inch strip across the top bare (so you can seal the rolls).
- Stir together the sugar and cinnamon, then sprinkle evenly over the buttered dough.
- Starting with the long side closest to you, roll the dough snugly up from bottom to top. Slice into 12 even rolls. Place rolls into the baking pan, spaced evenly apart. Cover lightly with plastic wrap or a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free area for 1 hour.
- When the dough has about 15 minutes left of rising time, preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Bake the cinnamon rolls in preheated oven for 32-35 minutes, until golden brown on top. Remove from the oven and let stand 2 minutes (don’t let the rolls sit out of the oven for too long before flipping, or the topping will stay stuck in the baking pan), then place a sheet pan over top of the pan and quickly invert the pans to flip the sticky buns upside down onto the sheet pan.
- Let cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!