Vegan sweet potato shepherd’s pie! Vegan beef, gravy & veggies topped with fluffy mashed sweet potato. What could be better!
I grew up eating shepherd’s pie at least once a month, and since going vegan, my parents have started making it vegan-style and inviting us over when they make it. It is such a comforting, yummy, happy meal for me! One time, my mom decided to do half sweet potato and half white potato for the topping. The addition of the sweet potato was so tasty and fun, I knew I wanted to make an all-sweet potato version.
If you prefer white potato topping, check out these single serve mini shepherd’s pies!
Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 mins
- Yield: approx 6 servings
Vegan shepherd’s pie with a creamy sweet potato mash topping!
Sweet Potato Topping:
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 3 tbsp nondairy milk
- salt + pepper
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400g (approx) vegan ground beef
- 1/2 red onion
- 1 1/2 cups mixed small veggies like peas, corn and carrots
- 1 cup vegetarian beef-flavoured broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp corn starch + 2 tbsp water
- Boil the sweet potatoes until fork-tender, then drain. Mash with the vegan butter and nondairy milk until fluffy. Set aside.
- In a frying pan on medium heat, add the oil, onion and vegan beef. Cook about 8 minutes, until vegan beef is browned and onion is translucent. Add the veggies, broth, tomato paste, spices, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Once simmering, add the corn starch and water mixture and let simmer until thickened slightly.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Lightly grease a large casserole dish (or I used an 11-inch cast iron skillet).
- Transfer the filling to the casserole dish, then add dollops of the sweet potato mash, smoothing into an even layer. Use a fork to create grooves on top. If the baking dish looks very full, place it on a rimmed baking sheet so that if the filling bubbles over it doesn’t spill into your oven.
Bake, uncovered for 25-30 minutes, until bubbling and top is lightly browned.
Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
This looks super Yummy! Can it be frozen?
I would think so!