Today we are recreating Starbucks’ new spring drink: the Iced Toasted Vanilla Oat Milk Shaken Espresso! I tried the Starbucks Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso and… hated it. So I made an actual good version that you can make at home! What is the “Iced Toasted Vanilla Oatmilk Shaken Espresso”? Starbucks says its new drink promises a “twist on the classic vanilla flavour” with Starbucks’ blonde espresso, and notes of caramelized vanilla with smooth, creamy oat milk.
Today I made my own toasted (caramelized) vanilla syrup with only 3 ingredients, and then I show you how to get that frothy, fluffy shaken espresso which is then topped with your favourite milk.
Watch the video tutorial here!
Basically, these shaken espresso drinks are what dreams are made of. The toasted vanilla syrup is caramelized, perfectly sweet, and super easy to make! Also, don’t let the fancy name scare you. Shaken espresso is literally just espresso with a few ice cubes, plus the syrup, shaken vigorously until foamy. Its pretty cool! Then, just add it all to your cup and top with oat milk. Thats it!
You can make a double batch or even quadruple batch of the syrup and just keep it in a jar in the fridge. That way you can make these all week and it will be faster than driving to your closest Starbucks! Now, this recipe doesn’t taste exactly like the Starbucks one – BUT I can safely say this drink is GOOD. I found the syrup wayyyy too artificial tasting and overly sweet, while somehow tasting burnt at the same time. However, this version allows the flavour of the espresso to come through, while still being subtly sweet and perfectly foamy. I just love how pretty this drink is to make! Those swirls of coffee and oat milk are just beautiful.
Making this drink is easy! Simply make the syrup, then add a few tablespoons to a mason jar or cocktail shaker with your espresso and a few ice cubes. Shake about 30 seconds until foamy, then pour over ice and top with oat milk.
What you’ll need:
- vanilla extract
- oat milk
That’s it! Couldn’t be easier and I know you’ll have so much fun making this drink at home!
Looking for more coffee drinks to make at home?
Check out The Coffee Shop Series on my YouTube channel!
Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken EspressoPrint
Iced Toasted Vanilla Oat Milk Shaken Espresso
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 latte
A twist on the classic vanilla flavour, with foamy shaken espresso, notes of caramelized vanilla and smooth, creamy oat milk.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- generous splash of vanilla extract (approx 2 tsp)
- double shot of espresso
- oat milk or favourite nondairy milk
- Place sugar in a pan or small pot on the stove and put heat to medium high. Heat, stirring frequently, until sugar melts and turns deep amber in colour (takes about 8 minutes).
- Carefully add the water, and reduce heat to medium, letting it simmer until the thick caramel has dissolved into a runny syrup.
- Add the vanilla and stir.
- Place espresso shot in a mason jar or cocktail shaker and add 2 tbsp (or more) of syrup. Add a few ice cubes, then shake about 30 seconds until foamy.
- Fill serving glass 3/4 full with ice, then pour shaken espresso overtop. Top with oat milk. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes