Sourdough bread topped with homemade vegan pesto, creamy mozzarella cheese and crispy seitan chicken.
For the toast:
- 2 slices fresh sourdough bread
- 4 tbsp pesto
- 2 tbsp vegan parmesan
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped seitan chicken
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 3/4 – 1 cup vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbsp paprika salt & pepper to taste
- 2–1/2 cups broth for simmering
- oil for frying
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup basil leaves
- 1/4 cup kale
- 1 clove of garlic
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup water
- generous pinch of salt
- Make the seitan chicken: Whisk together seitan dry ingredients until combined. Add broth and stir until it forms a dough ball.
- Knead a few times with your hands until dough has no dry spots.
- Add rest of broth to instant pot. Rip off chunks of seitan and add to pot. Cook on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it is done, quick release steam.
- Meanwhile, whisk together breading ingredients. When seitan is done, toss in the breading mixture until coated.
- Heat a large frying pan with oil. When hot, add seitan and fry a few minutes per side until crispy and golden brown. Remove from pan and plate into a paper towel-lined bowl to rest.
- Make the pesto: Add pesto ingredients to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth(ish).
- Onto each slice of bread, layer the pesto blend, vegan cheese, and seitan chicken and bake at 375 F for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bread is toasted.
- Sprinkle vegan parmesan over top, serve and enjoy!
Store leftover seitan chicken in a container in the fridge for up to 5 days. Reheat in a frying pan or in the oven until crispy.
- Prep Time: 30 minutes