Crunchy, spicy and tangy vegan Takis-crusted chicken strips, dunked in vegan Chick-Fil-A copycat sauce!
- 1 cup vital wheat gluten
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 cup vegan chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
- 1 cup crushed Fuego Takis
- 1 tbsp paprika salt & pepper to taste
- 2–1/2 cups broth for simmering
- oil for frying
- cooking spray
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo
- 1 1/2 tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 tbsp bbq sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 1/2 tbsp pickle brine
- Whisk together vital wheat gluten, chickpea flour and nutritional yeast dry until combined. Add broth and stir until it forms a dough ball.
- Knead a few times with your hands until dough has no dry spots.
- Add rest of broth to instant pot. Rip off chunks of seitan and roughly form into strips, and add to pot. Cook on “manual” for 15 minutes. Once it is done, quick release steam. See notes for stovetop instructions.
- Meanwhile, whisk together breading ingredients. When seitan is done, toss in the breading mixture until coated. Spritz with cooking spray.
- In an air fryer, set temperature to 400 degrees F and cook for 10 minutes or until outside breading is crunchy. See notes for oven instructions.
- Meanwhile, whisk together sauce ingredients until combined.
- Serve with sauce for dipping.
Stovetop: Add seitan pieces to a large pot with broth. Let seitan simmer/lightly boil for 45 minutes.
Oven: In a pre-heated oven set at 400 degrees F, cook strips for 10 minutes on both sides until crispy. Remove from oven to let cool. Enjoy!