These Vegan Sticky Butter Cardamom Swirls will make you feel like a pastry chef, even if you are an inexperienced or self-taught baker! These shiny, beautiful swirls are deceiving as they are quite easy to make! 5-ingredient fluffy vegan dough, layered with sweet cardamom butter (dairy-free of course), rolled up and baked until golden. Then we brush them with homemade vanilla syrup glaze which gives them that shiny look and keeps the tops from hardening.
It all started with planning for our weekly Sunday Morning Coffee. If you’re new here, every Sunday we get together with my and Greg’s families and have coffee and treats. It started with them bringing over bread or pastries from a local bakery, but it has morphed into me making all the treats! I actually love it because it gives me the perfect circumstances for testing new recipes: hungry recipe testers, and lots of them, all in one place.
Watch the video tutorial here!
I have been looking at photos of European bakeries on Pinterest lately because they tend to have the most beautiful spreads of baked goods. I can’t get enough! I have been wanting to make something beautiful and bakery-worthy, and thus came up with this recipe! I was craving cinnamon rolls, and then had the idea to do cardamom instead. If you haven’t tried cardamom before and are wondering how it tastes, Google describes it as “an herbal warmth like a fragrant cross between eucalyptus, mint, and pepper—more citrusy than fennel and sweeter than cumin”.
I tend to tell people the smell reminds me of earl grey tea, and it is like a sweet very delicate herbal flavour. It is absolutely delicious when combined with sugar and extra extra delicious when layered with buttery dough.
How to make these Vegan Sticky Butter Cardamom Swirls SO swirly…
Normally my cinnamon rolls are pretty thick and doughy (which I love) with a thicker swirl. I wanted to make these ones have tons of swirly layers, with a gorgeous spiral on top. I thought it would be tricky to execute, but it wasn’t any more difficult than regular cinnamon rolls. In fact, it may have even been easier! I know!
Basically I rolled out a long rectangle of dough like I always do with cinnamon rolls. Spread on the buttery cardamom sugar filling in a thin layer. Then, instead of rolling it up lengthwise into a log and then slicing it, I did something that totally changed the way these rolls turn out!
I used a pizza wheel to slice 8 strips the long way, then rolled each strip up into a swirl, resulting in a super tight spiral with lots of layers. Such a game changer!
Looking for more recipes? Try these…
Cardamom Pistachio Double Chocolate Cookies
And lastly, if you make this recipe, let me know how it goes with a comment below, and make sure to take a photo and tag me on Instagram!Print
Vegan Sticky Butter Cardamom Swirls
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 8 swirls
5-ingredient fluffy vegan dough, layered with sweet cardamom butter, baked until golden and brushed with homemade vanilla syrup glaze.
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 packet quick-rise/instant yeast
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (use the extra flour if your dough still seems sticky)
- 1/3 cup softened vegan butter
- 6 tbsp sugar (brown or white works)
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
Vanilla Syrup Glaze:
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the nondairy milk and sugar to to a pot on medium heat and heat until warm to the touch.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer and whisk in the yeast. Let sit a few minutes. Add the flour and melted vegan butter and mix by hand or with the dough hook on the stand mixer on low speed until dough is smooth and not too sticky to the touch (approx 5 minutes).
- Wash your bowl and spray with a bit of cooking spray, then add the dough back into the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set a timer for 1 hour and leave it to rise until doubled in size.
- To make the filling, mix together filling ingredients until combined.
- When the hour is up, preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a long rectangle approx. 12 inches by 18 inches. Spread the filling evenly over the dough.
- Use a pizza wheel to slice 8 strips of dough the long way (so they are 18 inches long) and then roll each one up snuggly into a swirl.
- Space apart on your prepared sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 24-26 minutes, until they are a deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot or frying pan on medium heat, add the water, sugar and vanilla and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Remove cardamom swirls from the oven and brush on the glaze immediately. Serve. Best eaten the day of, however you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. They will definitely be freshest the day of!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 mins
- Cook Time: 24 minutes
This looks SO delicious (as usual!) – I was wondering whether those could be frozen? And if so, would it be before or after baking them? Thanks ! x
These were very simple to make and turned out delicious! I added a little ginger with the cardamom to give it a little *more* but even without they’re great.
so happy you enjoyed it! 🙂