5-ingredient fluffy vegan dough, layered with sweet cardamom butter, baked until golden and brushed with homemade vanilla syrup glaze.
- 3 tbsp vegan butter, melted
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 packet quick-rise/instant yeast
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (use the extra flour if your dough still seems sticky)
- 1/3 cup softened vegan butter
- 6 tbsp sugar (brown or white works)
- 1 tbsp ground cardamom
Vanilla Syrup Glaze:
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add the nondairy milk and sugar to to a pot on medium heat and heat until warm to the touch.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl or bowl of a stand mixer and whisk in the yeast. Let sit a few minutes. Add the flour and melted vegan butter and mix by hand or with the dough hook on the stand mixer on low speed until dough is smooth and not too sticky to the touch (approx 5 minutes).
- Wash your bowl and spray with a bit of cooking spray, then add the dough back into the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set a timer for 1 hour and leave it to rise until doubled in size.
- To make the filling, mix together filling ingredients until combined.
- When the hour is up, preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a long rectangle approx. 12 inches by 18 inches. Spread the filling evenly over the dough.
- Use a pizza wheel to slice 8 strips of dough the long way (so they are 18 inches long) and then roll each one up snuggly into a swirl.
- Space apart on your prepared sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 24-26 minutes, until they are a deep golden brown.
- Meanwhile, in a small pot or frying pan on medium heat, add the water, sugar and vanilla and bring to a simmer. Remove from heat.
- Remove cardamom swirls from the oven and brush on the glaze immediately. Serve. Best eaten the day of, however you can store them in an airtight container at room temperature up to 3 days. They will definitely be freshest the day of!