These Homemade Vegan Mini Tortillas are game changing! Fresh flour tortillas, made from scratch that are vegan and pillowy soft. They’re so much better than any you could buy pre-packaged from the grocery store. These homemade vegan mini tortillas are incredibly easy to make, take less than 30 minutes start to finish (even with 10 minutes of doing nothing while the dough rests!) and even a beginner could do it!
Watch the video tutorial here!
My friend Katie has raved about making tortillas for so long but I always thought it sounded still a bit too much work. I mean, flour tortillas from the store work great! Why would you spend the extra time to make them yourself? Well, now I get it. Homemade is the way to go! I have made so many tortillas now and have it down to a super quick and easy process, which I’m sharing today with you!
How to use them:
Use these Homemade Vegan Mini Tortillas for tacos, wraps, burritos, quesadillas, and so much more! You can make them larger or smaller depending on what you’re using them for. Make 4 instead of 8 if you want large tortillas for burritos, or keep them small if you want easy handheld taco size! And then you could always do a size in between for BBQ Chickpea Wraps!They are much softer, chewier and tastier than store-bought. You’ll love them!
Or, make Greg’s newest recipe, the Easy Vegan Taco Tower!
- Whisk the flour, baking powder and salt quickly and then add in some margarine or softened vegan butter. I use vegan Becel margarine because it is already soft.
- Add hot water and mix until a dough starts to form. Knead with your hands until it is a smooth dough ball. Let it sit, covered or wrapped in plastic wrap for about 10 minutes.
- Heat a skillet (I use cast iron) and add a small drizzle of avocado oil. The oil is optional but I like using it!
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each into balls. Roll out as thin as possible using a rolling pin (they won’t be perfect circles but that’s okay). Place in the pan and let cook about 30 seconds until bubbles rise up on the surface. Flip it and cook another 30 seconds, and it should have some nice browned spots.
- Remove from heat and place on a plate and cover with a dish towel or a bowl to trap the steam so they don’t dry out. Repeat with remaining dough and serve!
Homemade Vegan Mini Tortillas
Fresh flour tortillas, made from scratch that are vegan and pillowy soft.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine or softened butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup hot water
- avocado or olive oil for the pan (optional)
- Add flour baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl and quickly whisk to combine. Add the margarine and hot water and mix to form a dough. Use your hands to knead it until it is a smooth dough ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or cover with a damp towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, then use a rolling pin to roll it as thin as you can. It might not be perfectly round but that’s okay!
- Heat a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of avocado oil (optional) and spread it around. Add one or more tortillas (as long as they aren’t overlapping) and cook 30 seconds until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook another 30 seconds. There should be some golden brown spots.
- Remove from heat and cover with a dish towel or bowl so they don’t dry out while you cook the other ones. Repeat with remaining dough, then serve warm.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container or bag for 2-3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.