Fresh flour tortillas, made from scratch that are vegan and pillowy soft.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine or softened butter or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup hot water
- avocado or olive oil for the pan (optional)
- Add flour baking powder and salt to a mixing bowl and quickly whisk to combine. Add the margarine and hot water and mix to form a dough. Use your hands to knead it until it is a smooth dough ball.
- Wrap in plastic wrap or cover with a damp towel and let sit for 10 minutes.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece into a ball, then use a rolling pin to roll it as thin as you can. It might not be perfectly round but that’s okay!
- Heat a cast iron skillet or frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of avocado oil (optional) and spread it around. Add one or more tortillas (as long as they aren’t overlapping) and cook 30 seconds until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip and cook another 30 seconds. There should be some golden brown spots.
- Remove from heat and cover with a dish towel or bowl so they don’t dry out while you cook the other ones. Repeat with remaining dough, then serve warm.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container or bag for 2-3 days or freeze for up to 2 months.