Summer desserts don’t get much better than this vegan sugar doughnut strawberry shortcake! Homemade olive oil vanilla cake doughnuts, coated in cinnamon sugar layered with fresh juicy strawberries and coconut whipped cream. Truly such a sweet and delicious, fluffy, perfect summer dessert!
The inspiration for this Vegan Sugar Doughnut Strawberry Shortcake:
Growing up, my family ate a lot of strawberry shortcake. But it was always the biscuit kind. I was shocked one day when I found out a lot of people do some sort of fluffy white cake instead of biscuits. It seemed so wrong! I thought biscuits were the standard! And although I am partial to biscuits for strawberry shortcake, I really thought this recipe idea sounded too good not to try. And you know what? A cake-type base is delicious too! Why only do it one way, when you can do strawberry shortcake all the ways?
Seems like a no-brainer to me.
These doughnuts are cake doughnuts (baked, not fried) and a version of my ever-popular churro-inspired doughnuts. These ones are olive oil vanilla flavour and oh my gosh… they are SO yummy! I have been seeing olive oil cakes all over instagram lately so I wanted to put my own spin on it. And you can never go wrong with vanilla!
I definitely want to try making classic fried doughnuts sometime, but deep frying still scares me, so that will be a project for another day!
We keep it simple with the strawberries, only adding a dash of sugar to bring out the juice and then lightly mashing them. It’s like a combination of a strawberry sauce, with larger chunks of fresh strawberries, all in a strawberry syrup. You can’t get much better than that!
Lastly, for the coconut whip, I just kept it super simple and used the canned stuff. But feel free to make your own with coconut cream!
Looking for more summer desserts?
Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp (Gluten-free Option)Print
Vegan Sugar Doughnut Strawberry Shortcake
- Total Time: 1 hour (including cooling)
- Yield: 6 servings
Homemade olive oil vanilla cake doughnuts, coated in cinnamon sugar layered with fresh juicy strawberries and coconut whipped cream.
Olive Oil & Vanilla Cake Doughnuts:
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup nondairy milk
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax mixed with 3 tbsp of water)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sugar + 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 tbsp sugar
- coconut whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Stir together ground flax and water and let sit 5 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, add flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk to combine. Add nondairy milk, oil, flax egg and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Spray the doughnut pan with spray oil. Divide batter into doughnut pan. Bake in preheated oven for 14 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in a doughnut comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before removing from pan.
- Meanwhile, toss strawberries with sugar, then mash lightly and set aside.
- Combine sugar and cinnamon in a shallow bowl. Dip each doughnut in the sugar mixture, coating it.
- When ready to serve, top doughnuts with strawberries and coconut whipped cream.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes