These Classic Vegan Cinnamon Rolls are everything you could ever want: buttery, fluffy soft, slightly caramelized bottoms and a thick frosting glaze drizzled over top. These will make you feel like a pastry chef, even if you are an inexperienced or self-taught baker! These beautiful rolls are deceivingly easy to make with a 5-ingredient fluffy vegan dough, layered with sweet brown sugar cinnamon butter (dairy-free of course), rolled up and baked until golden. Then we brush drizzle on homemade vanilla glaze. I made them for Sunday coffee last weekend and every single roll was gobbled up!
How to make these Classic Vegan Cinnamon Rolls SO swirly…
Normally, my cinnamon rolls are pretty thick and doughy (which I love) with a thicker swirl meaning less layers inside. I wanted to make these ones have tons of swirly layers, with a gorgeous spiral on top. I thought it would be tricky to execute, but it wasn’t any more difficult than regular cinnamon rolls. In fact, it may have even been easier!
Basically I rolled out a long rectangle of dough like I always do with cinnamon rolls. Spread on the butter & sugar filling in a thin layer. Then, instead of rolling it up lengthwise into a log and then slicing it, I did something that totally changed the way these rolls turn out: I used a pizza wheel to slice 8 strips the long way, then rolled each strip up into a swirl, resulting in a super tight spiral with lots of layers. Such a game changer!
What you’ll need:
All you need for these rolls are some simple pantry staples you might already have laying around!
- white sugar
- brown sugar
- istant yeast
- vegan butter
- nondairy milk
- powdered sugar
- vanilla extract
You might also want to use a stand mixer if you have one, as it cuts down on kneading time! I love and use my stand mixer all the time.
Looking for more recipes? Try these…
Cardamom Pistachio Double Chocolate Cookies
And lastly, if you make this recipe, let me know how it goes with a comment below, and make sure to take a photo and tag me on Instagram!Print
Classic Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
- Total Time: 2 hours
- Yield: 12 rolls
These Classic Vegan Cinnamon Rolls are everything you could ever want: buttery, fluffy soft, slightly caramelized bottoms and a thick frosting drizzled over top
- 3 tbsp vegan butter
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 1 packet instant/ quick rise yeast (2 1/4 tsp instant/ quick rise yeast)
- 3 tbsp cane sugar
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup softened vegan butter
- 5 tbsp brown sugar (or cane sugar works too)
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp nondairy milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- optional: 1 tbsp softened vegan butter
- Melt the vegan butter in a pot on medium heat, then add the nondairy milk and heat until warm to the touch (no more than 100 degrees F).
- Evenly sprinkle the yeast over top. Set a timer for 10 minutes and let it sit without touching it.
- Add the sugar and stir to combine.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or a large mixing bowl, add the flour and salt and whisk to combine. Add the yeast mixture and mix to form a dough, then knead about 3-5 minutes until it is a soft dough but isn’t super sticky to the touch.
- Wash your bowl (or just grab another one) and spray with a bit of cooking spray, then add the dough back into the bowl and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Set a timer for 1 hour and leave it on your counter or a warm, draft-free area to rise until doubled in size. If it takes less time or a bit more to double, that’s okay!
- To make the filling, use a hand mixer to beat the butter, sugar and cinnamon until light and fluffy.
- When the hour is up, preheat the oven to 375 F. Line a large sheet pan with parchment paper. Dump the dough onto a lightly floured surface and roll it into a long rectangle with a rolling pin. Spread the filling evenly over the dough.
- Use a pizza wheel to slice 12 strips of dough the long way and then roll each one up snuggly into a swirl.
- Space apart on your prepared sheet pan. Bake in preheated oven for 24-26 minutes, until they are a deep golden brown.
- While it bakes, stir together the powered sugar and nondairy milk to make a frosting. Pour over finished cinnamon rolls immediately and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
This is the best cinnamon bun recipe! So easy and they make the house smell AMAZING.
How much salt does this recipe call for? (I don’t see it in the detailed ingredients list, unless I’m blind, but it’s in the directions.) Thanks!
Sorry just added! 1/4 tsp
My home smells amazing. They are so good. I just made 1/2 of the icing because I dont like when its to sweet. super easy sunday special treat. Thank you for another amazing recipe. I’ll be recomending this to so many friends.
How long do these keep for?? So excited to try!
I LOVED this recipe. I ended up using about a quarter cup more flour for the dough because it was too sticky, but it worked out perfectly beside that. Was well worth the effort! 11 out of 10!
Absolutely delicious! In my house, in both summer and winter, I cover the dough with a tea towel and place in the cold oven. I find it needs only 30 mins to double in size. I also double the filling recipe for extra flavour!!
This recipe was very easy to follow and it turned out amazing! Last time I tried making cinnamon buns was in Grade 8 Home Ec class and I’ve been intimidated ever since. Can’t wait to make them again! Great recipe!