Vegan Half-Baked Apple Pie Chia Pudding… THE recipe of the summer when you want to be healthy. It’s chia pudding but way better! Topped with cinnamon-scented cooked apple, swirls of almond butter and a flaky delicious vegan pie crust crumbled over top. What’s not to love! I love that the chia pudding reminds me of vanilla icecream, it really just ties the whole pie theme together!
Okay okay, for anyone who knows me at all, I have never been a chia pudding fan. But once I got tired of having oatmeal for breakfast (and when the weather warmed up) I seriously started craving it! All the hesitations I had about the texture went out the window and now I eat it every day. But its never boring! It is always some delicious, super extra version of chia pudding.
If you too are a bit skeptical of it you can always blend it so its like a whipped mousse/more traditional pudding texture. I’ve done that too when I was getting used to it. But if you like chia pudding and you like summer desserts, this Half-Baked Apple Pie Chia Pudding will be right up your alley!
Despite having 3 different parts to it, this is actually a super easy recipe! The pie crust is a simple 3 ingredient affair, made with flour, coconut oil and water. Simply whip that up and then bake in an air fryer or the oven until golden.
How to make Vegan Half-Baked Apple Pie Chia Pudding:
The chia pudding itself is super easy. Just mix together your milk, chia seeds, vanilla and maple syrup and store in the fridge overnight to gel up.
Last but not least, the apples are just grated or finely chopped and cooked on the stove with a bit of lemon juice, maple syrup and cinnamon until soft, and resembling pie filling! If you wanted to be super quick and easy about this, you could also just buy apple pie filling and use that!
Then, simply layer the ingredients together in a jar with some almond butter (optional, but great for added healthy fats and delicious taste) and top with the pie crust. It tastes incredible with either warm apples or all cold after sitting in the fridge overnight! I actually make a few jars at a time so I have them on hand for dessert or an afternoon snack.
Looking for more summer recipes? Try these…
Vegan Berries & Cream Pink Drink (Starbucks Inspired)
Vegan Sugar Doughnut Strawberry ShortcakePrint
Vegan Half-Baked Apple Pie Chia Pudding
- Total Time: 30 minutes + overnight
- Yield: 2 servings
Creamy vanilla chia pudding topped with cinnamon-scented cooked apple, swirls of almond butter and a flaky delicious vegan pie crust crumbled over top.
- 1 cup soy milk or nondairy milk of choice
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp maple syrup
Apple Pie Filling:
- The night before, make the chia pudding: Add all chia pudding ingredients to a container or jar and stir until combined. Leave in fridge overnight. Some will settle to the bottom, just stir it to mix it all up.
- Make the pie crust: grease a small cassoulet dish or oven-safe small baking dish (I used a glass Pyrex container).
- Add flour and salt to a mixing bowl and whisk to combine.Add coconut oil and use a pastry cutter (or fork) to cut it together until it is crumbly like wet sand.
Add cold water 1 tbsp at a time and gently mix. Add only as much water as needed to make it form a dough. Use your hands to gently form the dough into a ball, then press into your greased baking pan.
- Bake at 350 F (I did mine in an air fryer) for 15-20 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top. Remove from oven/air fryer and set aside.
- Make the apples pie filling: in a small pot on low heat, add apples, cinnamon and maple syrup and water. Cook, stirring regularly, for 15 minutes, or until the apples have softened. Add more water to the pot if needed.
- Assemble: Divide chia pudding into 2 little containers, jars or serving dishes. Top with 1 tbsp almond butter, then divide the pie filling between the two. Crumble the pie crust and add it to the top. Enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
Can you please add the Apple Pie Filling ingredients?