If you ask me, summer time calls for quick, easy and SATISFYING recipes! This Vegan Broiled Cheddar Tomato and Hummus Toast has all the criteria for this summer’s easy lunch recipes that you need to try! This Vegan Broiled Cheddar Tomato and Hummus Toast is broiled and loaded with hummus, melted down gooey vegan cheese, and fried cherry tomatoes for the perfect cheesy crunch!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Why toast, of all things?
Well, because it’s quick, it’s easy, and nearly everyone has access to it! I don’t know about you but I grew up eating a sandwich for lunch every day at school. Although I’ve evolved from the days of a simple ham and cheese sandwich on white bread with not enough cheese and too much mustard, I can’t help but admire the variety of toppings you can put on bread. The crazy thing is that it’s almost always good!
Now, you might be asking yourself – “why is he talking about sandwiches when I’m looking at a toast recipe?” The easy answer is that they aren’t so different! Sure, one half of the bread is missing, and you can hold it and eat it like a normal sandwich. If loaded toast recipes have one downfall it’s that they just don’t carry well in a lunch box to bring to school or work! That said, if you’ve got some time on your hands, and are looking for a quick and easy summer recipe – you can’t go wrong with a fresh, hot and crispy toast recipe like This Vegan Broiled Cheddar Tomato and Hummus Toast, this Big Mac Toast, this cheesy chicken pesto toast, or even a personal favourite of mine, jalapeño popper toast!
At the end of the day, toast recipes are great if you want something warm, fresh and crispy with a variety of toppings, where as sandwiches are perfect for those travel days or days on the job! Whichever situation you find yourself in, you have to admit a good loaded toast recipe is sure to hit the spot!
Give this easy Vegan Broiled Cheddar Tomato and Hummus Toast a try this weekend and let us know what you think by leaving a review here on the blog. aAd most importantly, enjoy!!Print
Vegan Broiled Cheddar Tomato and Hummus Toast
- Total Time: 15
- Yield: 2 pieces
This Vegan Broiled Cheddar Tomato and Hummus Toast is loaded with hummus, melted down gooey vegan cheese, and fried cherry tomatoes for the perfect cheesy crunch!
- 2 slices white or sourdough bread
- 8–10 cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp hummus
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp vegan butter
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup vegan milk
- 100g vegan cheddar cheese (I used daiya)
- 60g of vegan nut based cheese (I used Nuts for Cheese Chipotle Cheddar)
- pinch of black pepper
- Preheat oven by setting to broil.
- On both pieces of bread, spread 1 1/2 tbsp of hummus evenly. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat, add all cheese sauce ingredients, stirring quickly until all cheeses are combined and an even consistency. remove from heat.
- Add the cheese sauce to the bread until just covered to the edges. Place on a baking sheet and place in preheated oven. Broil for 2-3 minutes and Watch closely so as not to burn. Cheese should be bubbly and toast lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- In a medium pan over medium-high heat, add vegan butter, salt and cherry tomatoes. let sear for 1-2 minutes on each side, flipping frequently until sides of tomato are blackened in some spots. Remove from heat.
- Add cherry tomatoes to cheesy hummus toast and top with a pinch of sesame seeds. Serve hot and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 10