This Vegan Cheesy Chopped Chicken Sandwich is the perfect sandwich to make when you want a restaurant-style meal without the cost! This “chicken” is made of soy curls cooked in a super flavourful sticky sweet & spicy basil sauce, chopped and mixed with vegan cheese. It’s hearty, filling and so satisfying! This tasty vegan chopped chicken sandwich will satisfy all your cravings!
You all know by now that baking is my favourite thing, and I don’t make sandwiches for the blog very often, so today’s recipe really excites me! I really think you will love it! The flavours are so unique but work so well together. I wouldn’t normally think to combine a spicy & sweet basil sauce with cheese, but trust me, it just works!
A special announcement:
You all probably know by now that my husband Greg is the sandwich guy. And guess what? He even made a whole ebook about sandwiches!! We both just launched recipe ebooks that we have been working on over the past year and I am sooo happy they’re finally available to purchase! If you want to check them out, click here for the link to buy either my Sunday Coffee sweets & coffee book or Greg’s Gourmet Vegan Sandwiches and you can also get both for 30% off for a limited time!
Okay so back to the recipe…
This recipe concept really reminds me of something you might get at a food truck on a nice summer day. I feel like food trucks always do crazy stuff like this and the food always hits the spot perfectly! A chopped cheesy chicken sandwich just screams summer, so I hope you really love it as much as I do!
This recipe uses soy curls and if you aren’t familiar with them, you can read this post on How To Cook Soy Curls here! Basically they are sold dehydrated. so you just rehydrate them in some vegan chicken flavoured broth (or veggie broth) and then pan fry however you like! I like to coat in corn starch and then fry with olive oil until golden brown. And of course, you need a yummy sauce! The one in this recipe is great but the one in this post is also extremely easy and tasty!
You can buy soy curls at some health food stores or grocery stores! I get ours in bulk at Luminate and you can order online from them too. The most popular brand is Butler soy curls!Print
Vegan Cheesy Chopped Chicken Sandwich
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2
This “chicken” sandwich is made of soy curls cooked in a sticky sweet & spicy basil sauce, chopped and mixed with vegan cheese.
- 2 sandwich or burger buns
- 1 1/2 cups soy curls
- 2 cups veggie broth or vegan chicken flavoured broth
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
- splash of nondairy milk as needed
- your favourite sandwich toppings! Greens, condiments, onion, etc
Sweet & Spicy Basil Sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- Add soy curls to a small bowl and cover with broth. Let soak 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together sauce ingredients.
- Drain soy curls. Toss with corn starch.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add oil and soy curls. Cook about 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Add sauce and stir to coat.
- Remove soy curls from pan and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Add the cheese to the pan with a splash of milk to help it melt. When starting to melt, add the chopped soy curls back in a stir to combine.
- Toast your burger buns and divide the soy curls mixture between them. Add your favourite toppings like greens, onion, condiments, etc (I did greens and a spicy ketchup which was just a mixture of sriracha and ketchup!)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
these look great but i can’t eat soy so is there a substitute? could i use the sauce w/ mushrooms?
Another win for my sandwich loving husband!