This “chicken” sandwich is made of soy curls cooked in a sticky sweet & spicy basil sauce, chopped and mixed with vegan cheese.
- 2 sandwich or burger buns
- 1 1/2 cups soy curls
- 2 cups veggie broth or vegan chicken flavoured broth
- 1 tbsp corn starch
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup vegan cheese shreds
- splash of nondairy milk as needed
- your favourite sandwich toppings! Greens, condiments, onion, etc
Sweet & Spicy Basil Sauce:
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 1/2 tbsp sriracha
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, minced
- Add soy curls to a small bowl and cover with broth. Let soak 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, stir together sauce ingredients.
- Drain soy curls. Toss with corn starch.
- In a frying pan on medium-high heat, add oil and soy curls. Cook about 8 minutes, stirring frequently, until golden brown. Add sauce and stir to coat.
- Remove soy curls from pan and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Add the cheese to the pan with a splash of milk to help it melt. When starting to melt, add the chopped soy curls back in a stir to combine.
- Toast your burger buns and divide the soy curls mixture between them. Add your favourite toppings like greens, onion, condiments, etc (I did greens and a spicy ketchup which was just a mixture of sriracha and ketchup!)
- Serve and enjoy!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes