That’s right! This Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich truly does taste as good as it sounds! Now wipe the drool away while I tell you a bit about how to make this delicious recipe…
If you saw this on my instagram video, then you’ll know that this Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese is packed with gooey melted vegan cheese, soy curls drenched in homemade buffalo sauce, and is then grilled to golden perfection!
WATCH THE VIDEO
Why buffalo sauce?!
I have always been a fan of heat in my dishes. Back when I was growing up, I used to experiment with all sorts of flavours in the first two dishes I ever learned to make. Like any North American kid growing up, that was Macaroni and Cheese (which will forever be the ultimate homemade comfort food to me!), and a grilled cheese sandwich!
I remember a few summers when I had nothing to do but experiment with foods, and grilled cheeses were at the top of my list of favourites to have fun with! The sandwich is a perfect conduit for so many different flavours and textures, and finding that perfect bread-to filling ratio was my passion. Not to mention creating the perfect golden brown crust became an obsession of mine!
Now that I’ve got the history out of the way, why buffalo sauce?! Well, it just so happens that after all of that research, this flavour pairing ended up at the very top of that list. And when I found the recipe for my wife Liv’s Sweet Heat Buffalo Chicken Fingers and her Buffalo Chicken Mac, I knew I had to adapt it into the perfect grilled cheese! Thus was born the Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese.
How it’s made:
It really is as simple as you might imagine, and therein lies the beauty.
If I could create this type of sandwich as a kid, you know it’s got to be easy! What’s even better is that you know it tastes amazing if I’m still making it to this very day. That said, I’ve definitely made a few key upgrades, found some more efficient techniques, and of course, made it vegan! So let me quickly go over how I make this Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
All you have to do is:
Shake a small bottle of the buffalo sauce mixture! This is a hack that will save you from uneven mixing and flavouring, plus it takes almost no time at all.
Then you want to fry it with some vegan cheese to stick it all together. Nobody likes a sandwich where half of the filling is falling all over your plate after you take that first bite. Plus, it helps even out some of the more intense flavours.
The key to all of this sturdy sandwich is finding a bread with some strength! I always lean toward sourdough. My tip is to buy it fresh and un-sliced if you can, so that you can cut the loaf into thicker, more sturdy slices! Hence the “Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese”.
My last tip is to fry it with lots and lots of butter. We’re not going for any healthy living awards with this sandwich. And if you want that golden brown crunchy exterior, don’t be shy with the vegan butter! And to make sure that the cheese melts, don’t be afraid to toss in a tablespoon of water and cover it up on high heat for a minute!
Now, sit back and enjoy the perfect sandwich you just made, then let us know how you liked it on our instagram or here in the reviews section!Print
Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese
- Total Time: 25
- Yield: 1
This Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich is packed with gooey melted vegan cheese, soy curls drenched in homemade buffalo sauce, and grilled to golden perfection!
- two thick slices sourdough bread
- 1 1/2 cups dehydrated soy curls
- 2 cups water or vegan chicken broth
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese shreds
- 4 slices vegan cheese
- 2 tbsp vegan butter
For the Buffalo Sauce
- 2 tbsp melted vegan butter
- 1/4 cup Frank’s Red Hot sauce
- 1/2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- In a small bowl, add 1 1/2 cups of dried soy curls to 2 cups of water or broth. Let soak for 5 minutes and then strain.
- In a jar, add all buffalo sauce ingredients and shake with a lid until fully combined.
- To a medium frying pan over medium heat, add the soy curls, buffalo sauce and vegan cheese shreds. Stir until soy curls are fully coated and sauce is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, butter both slices of bread with 1 tbsp of vegan butter each.
- In another medium frying pan with a lid, add one slice of bread with the buttered side face down. Add half of the soy curls, then two slices of vegan cheese, and repeat. Place lid on frying pan and let cook for 3-4 minutes, checking for golden brown exterior frequently.
- Once one side is golden, flip the sandwich and add 1 tbsp of water to pan. Add lid and let steam for approx 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and serve!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 20
This was SO good. I’ve been vegan for 4 years and only recently discovered soy curls (I know, right?), and have been amazed at how versatile they are. This is a perfect example of that and so delicious!! It came together quickly and my husband and I gobbled it up. Thanks for the recipe, Greg!!