The very best biscuits! These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Biscuits are so unique. By now we all know my love for a super flaky, buttery biscuit. I mean, you can’t beat them! These biscuits are extra special, made with layers of cream cheese in the flaky biscuit, dotted with chocolate chips.
At first, I was a bit sceptical of putting chocolate in biscuits because I had never done it before! But they sort of remind me of chocolate chip pancakes. They just work! And they’re sooo good. Combined with the tangy cream cheese, I can’t get enough! Eat them slightly warm, with a smear of vegan butter or the next day with a cup of coffee. They’re even amazing the second day!
What makes these Vegan Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Biscuits so good?
- The chocolate chips! Can’t go wrong with chocolate, ever. They perfectly balance the tanginess of the cream cheese and are kind of unexpected which is always fun.
- The layers! Adding cream cheese and then folding the dough a couple times helps create a ton of flaky layers which not only looks pretty but makes biscuits 100x better, its just science!
To make these biscuits you only need a few simple ingredients!
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder
- Non-dairy milk + lemon juice or vinegar to create a vegan buttermilk
- Vegan butter (I used Becel)
- Vegan cream cheese (I used Daiya)
- Chocolate chips
And that’s it. I love how you can create such fun and delicious recipes with such basic ingredients. I don’t know about you, but I pretty much have all of this in my kitchen, except for the cream cheese, but that’s the only thing I had to buy special for this recipe!
Looking for more biscuit recipes? Try these:
Cheesy Cheddar & Herb Drop Biscuits
Extra-Flaky Vegan Cheddar BiscuitsPrint
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cream Cheese Biscuits
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: approx 8 biscuits
These biscuits are extra special, made with layers of cream cheese in the flaky biscuit, dotted with chocolate chips
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup nondairy milk + 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
- 6 tbsp vegan butter
- 6 tbsp vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Mix together the nondairy milk and vinegar and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt until combined.
- Add the vegan butter and use a pastry blender, fork or a whisk to incorporate it into the flour mixture until the mixture looks like crumbly wet sand, with the butter broken into very small lumps.
- Whisk or stir in the chocolate chips until combined.
- Add the buttermilk mixture and stir until just combined into a raggy dough.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with flour and turn the dough out onto the surface, using your hands to form a rectangle about 8 inches by 6 inches. Use your fingers to dot 3 tbsp of cream cheese overtop. Just break off small lumps or pieces and dot them around the top. Fold the dough in half encasing the cream cheese and press down, forming a rectangle again.
- Repeat one more time with the remaining cream cheese, folding dough over to encase it and forming dough to be about 2 inches thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter or glass, or just slice square biscuits. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 12-14 minutes, or until lightly golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven and let cool slightly before serving with a generous pat of butter. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 days, or in the fridge up to 4 days.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 14 minutes