These Protein Pesto Crispy Tofu & Roasted Veggie Sandwiches are the perfect recipe for meal prep! Crispy lightly breaded panfried tofu and roasted veggies with pesto, sandwiched between crusty grilled focaccia. They are 100% vegan, plant-based, dairy free and extra delicious. This healthy plant-based protein and veggie-filled sandwich should be high on your priority list for it’s meal prep capabilities alone. Simply roast a pan of veggies and while they cook, quickly bread and pan fry the tofu. Then you can quickly assemble the sandwiches all week long.
Something about roasted vegetables with pesto is just on my mind lately. I can’t stop using them for sandwiches, bowls, wraps or just eating as a side dish. together It is just totally my perfect summer food lately. I am not usually a sandwich gal, but ever since my friend Katie and I got pedicures and then went to Pete’s for lunch and got roasted veggie pesto sandwiches, I just knew I had to recreate. I wasn’t sure if the sandwich tasted so good because it was enjoyed on a fun afternoon outing with my best friend, but I can happily confirm that no, the sandwich is just good, period!
If you love sandwiches, be sure to check out some of Greg’s sandwich creations:
Vegan Thick Cut Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Vegan Loaded Chick’n Salad Crunch Sandwich
How to make these Protein Pesto Crispy Tofu & Roasted Veggie Sandwiches:
I use a mix of different coloured bell peppers, mushrooms, onion and zucchini. I simply toss them with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, then roast in the oven until they’re slightly softened (but not over cooked) and starting to char a bit.
For the base of the sandwich, I love using focaccia because the flavour goes so well with pesto. The herby, olive oil baked top and fluffy inside… dreamy! And it always grills perfectly in a panini press.
The tofu breading is super simple – flour, cornflake crumbs (or breadcrumbs) and some paprika, garlic & onion powder, salt and pepper. Toss your slabs of firm tofu in the breading to coat and then pan fry with some olive oil until golden brown and crisp.
For meal prep:
I like to store the veggies in an airtight container, and the tofu in a separate container. Then, when you want a quick meal, spread some pesto on your bread, add some veggies and a piece of tofu and grill! It doesn’t get much easier than that.Print
Protein Pesto Crispy Tofu & Roasted Veggie Sandwiches
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 sandwiches
Crispy lightly breaded panfried tofu and roasted veggies with pesto, sandwiched between crusty grilled focaccia.
For the Sandwiches:
- 8 tbsp pesto
- 8 slices of your favourite bread (I used focaccia)
- 1/2 block of tofu, sliced into 4 slabs
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs, breadcrumbs etc
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk
- a few tbsp of oil for frying
- approx. 2 cups of sliced veggies like peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, use your favourites!
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment papper.
- Place veggies on sheet pan and drizzle oil over top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Bake in preheated oven for approx 20 minutes or until slightly softened and starting to char on the edges.
- Meanwhile, preheat a frying pan to medium high heat. Add a few tbsp oil.
- Stir together breadcrumbs, flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Dip tofu in the nondairy milk, then dip in the breading mixture until coated.
- Fry in pan for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread 2 tbsp pesto on bread. Add some roasted veggies and a piece of tofu. Enjoy immediately or press in a panini press to get those crispy grill marks. Enjoy!
Store veggies and tofu in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days, if not using all right away.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes