Crispy lightly breaded panfried tofu and roasted veggies with pesto, sandwiched between crusty grilled focaccia.
For the Sandwiches:
- 8 tbsp pesto
- 8 slices of your favourite bread (I used focaccia)
- 1/2 block of tofu, sliced into 4 slabs
- 1/2 cup cornflake crumbs, breadcrumbs etc
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup nondairy milk
- a few tbsp of oil for frying
- approx. 2 cups of sliced veggies like peppers, mushrooms, zucchini, onion, use your favourites!
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a sheet pan with parchment papper.
- Place veggies on sheet pan and drizzle oil over top. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat.
- Bake in preheated oven for approx 20 minutes or until slightly softened and starting to char on the edges.
- Meanwhile, preheat a frying pan to medium high heat. Add a few tbsp oil.
- Stir together breadcrumbs, flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Dip tofu in the nondairy milk, then dip in the breading mixture until coated.
- Fry in pan for about 4 minutes per side or until golden brown and crispy.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread 2 tbsp pesto on bread. Add some roasted veggies and a piece of tofu. Enjoy immediately or press in a panini press to get those crispy grill marks. Enjoy!
Store veggies and tofu in an airtight container in the fridge up to 4 days, if not using all right away.