This creamy, delicious Vegan Queso is inspired by Chipotle’s Queso Blanco and is my absolute favourite dip ever! It’s the perfect topping for tacos, burritos, nachos, and just about anything else you can imagine. With a few simple ingredient swaps, you can make a delicious cheese sauce that’s free of animal products but every bit as good as the real thing.
If you’re a big fan of vegan queso and love our Cheesy Chunky Queso Dip and Vegan Queso Mac N’ Cheese, you’re going to love this vegan queso blanco! It’s just as simple to make, but inspired by the ultra popular version from Chipotle Mexican Grill.
What is Chipotle Queso Blanco?
In 2020, Chipotle Mexican Grill launched their own queso blanco, a white cheese sauce that’s often served as a chip dip or topping for several kinds of Mexican cuisine. The version sold in Chipotle restaurants is of course made with dairy cheese and is therefore not vegan.
This version is just like the original and is easily one of my favourite dairy-free cheese sauces. It’s made with a blend of vegan soft white cheeses, vegan cream cheese, and raw cashews for the ultimate creamy texture, then seasoned with a blend of spices. It’s perfect for drizzling on just about anything savoury!
Bring this vegan favourite to a Super bowl party, family party, a holiday meal, or summer picnic. There’s never a wrong occasion!
Why You’ll Love This Vegan Version
- It’s naturally gluten-free. All of the ingredients in this easy vegan queso dip are naturally gluten-free. Great for parties with many types of eaters!
- Can be made in a blender or food processor. No powerful blender? No problem! Add all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Nut-free option. If you are allergic to nuts or unable to eat nuts, this vegan cashew queso can be made without cashews.
- Versatile. Use this cheese recipe in burrito bowls, tacos, burritos, quesadillas, and more.
Key Ingredients + Substitutions
- Cashews: Raw cashews add a neutral creaminess without overpowering the flavour of the cheese dip. If preferred, you can substitute raw slivered almonds, macadamia nuts, or sunflower seeds to make a nut-free version of this recipe.
- Russet potatoes: Creamy potatoes help thicken the queso and contribute to its smooth texture.
- Vegan cheese: In order to give this cheese sauce recipe a cheesy flavour, I’ve used a combination of vegan cream cheese, nutritional yeast, and vegan cheese shreds. Any vegan cheese shreds will work, but in order to keep this queso blanco white, I highly recommend vegan white cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese shreds.
- Spices: You’ll need a simple blend of chili powder, paprika and salt. The chili powder adds a bit of heat, so if you are sensitive to spice, reduce the amount of chili powder to taste.
- Salsa: Any mild or medium salsa of choice will work. Or, if you want a spicier Chipotle queso blanco, use a spicier salsa.
- Poblano pepper: Adds smokiness and a mild level of heat. For the best flavour, make sure to sear the poblano pepper well before blending!
- Milk: Any unsweetened, plant-based milk will work, but coconut milk will make the creamiest dip!
How to Make Vegan Queso Blanco
- Cook the potatoes. Add the peeled and chopped potatoes to a large pot of water. Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook the potatoes until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
- Sauté the aromatics. To a medium pan over medium heat, seat the shallot, poblano, garlic and red chilis. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the shallot is translucent and peppers are slightly browned and softened. Remove the pan from the heeat and set aside.
- Blend the vegan queso ingredients. In a high-speed blender, combine the cashews, cooked potatoes, vegan cheese shreds, vegan cream cheese, nutritional yeast, chili powder, salt, cumin, and plant milk. Blend the vegan queso until smooth and creamy, about 2-3 minutes.
- Bake. Pour the vegan queso blanco into an oven safe dish and stir in the onion and pepper mixture, salsa, and pickled jalapeños.
- Serve. Serve this queso while warm, as desired.
This Chipotle-copycat queso blanco is a versatile and delicious addition to a variety of dishes. Try it as a delicious appetizer, condiment, or afternoon snack with your favourite crispy tortilla chips. Or, if you’re looking for some of my favorite creative ways to use this cheesy dip, check out these ideas:
- Drizzle it on Triple Stacked Vegan Pulled Pork Nachos
- Serve it as a dipping sauce or condiment on vegan tacos like these Pan-Fried Cauliflower Rice & Black Bean Tacos or this Vegan Naked Chicken Chalupa.
- Dollop it on Chipotle Lime Chicken Taco Bowls.
- Use it as a dipping sauce for Creamy Avocado Fries, veggie sticks, or crackers.
Storage and Make Ahead Instructions
This creamy vegan queso blanco recipe can be made up to 2 days in advance. Once made, store the queso in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to eat, then reheat in a saucepan over medium heat until warmed through.
Leftover queso will keep for up to 5 days in the fridge or in the freezer for up to 3 months. When storing, keep this dip in an airtight container and thaw in the refrigerator overnight, if frozen.
Reheat any leftovers on the stovetop until warmed through.
More Vegan Dips to Try Next:
- Easy Vegan Jalapeño Popper Dip
- Vegan Whipped Ricotta Dip
- Warm Summer Vegetable and Herb Dip
- Cheesy Hummus Baked Holiday Dip
- Vegan Buffalo Chicken Dip with Ranch Cheese